LabVIEW Development Best Practices Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Add a custom SCC interface?

Solved!
Go to solution

I would like to add Mercurial to the SCC interface of LabVIEW, however I found two applications that looks like they are MSSCCI (the interface used by LabVIEW to communicate with third party SCC providers) compliant: HgSCC and VisualHG, but both are not showing up in the LabVIEW SCC list.

So I explored to add my own 'provider' but that is not at all documented so I am kinda shooting in the dark. I looked at duplicating the structure of the Perforce provider, and allthough the option shows up I get an error 7 at 'prefPage_Source Control.vi'.

So if anyone knows how to create your own SCC provider or knows a MSSCCI compliant Mercurial client I would be happy

Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(11,656 Views)

It would be great if you could create a custom provider for Mecurial to the SCC interface.  The API that is used by Perforce was designed with the intent of making it possible for other people to build their own plugins, so lets see if we can get you started down that path.  I'll do some digging to see what I can find about that error...

Elijah Kerry
NI Director, Software Community
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,489 Views)

As it sounds like you've already explored, you have two options for integration - you can get a plugin that conforms to the standard Microsoft API or you can develop a custom command-line interface.  However, the plugins that you mentioned may not be generic enough to facilitate the use of the WinCI interface.  The plugin needs to modify the registry in the same location where this API looks... see this VI - vi.lib\SourceControl\Providers\WinCI\WinCI Find All Providers.vi

When you duplicated the P4CMD folder, that particular error is occurring because of a failed attempt to open a VI reference... have you done any debugging to further isolate the source of this error?

Elijah Kerry
Message 3 of 7
(4,489 Views)

Hi Elijah,

supporting and pointing me was enough to get met going on! Thanks

I got it working to the point that it accepts HG as a provider, now I have to get deeper into the VIs but I think I can get somewhere.

I'll keep people posted!

Ton

Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
My LabVIEW Ideas

Message 4 of 7
(4,489 Views)

I’d love to see a slightly descriptive “how-to” on this, so it’s easier to add providers in the future. Can we set up a wiki page?

Copyright © 2004-2023 Christopher G. Relf. Some Rights Reserved. This posting is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,489 Views)

Chris,

I am working on a Mercurial Client, I think that can be a starting point for documentation.

The Perforce client has some nice tricks.

The problem I initially faced is that the Perforce LVLIB is password locked, however most of the code is open...

If the LVLIB was unlocked it would be quite easy to 'roll your own'. Now I feel a little bit dirty doing reverse engineering.

My LabVIEW Ideas

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(4,489 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author TCPlomp

I spoke with systems engineers from our Partner Program.  They have created additional documentation on this topic for parties interested in extending the SCC API. However, they much prefer to work with the potential developers rather than just hand it out, as it will likely create just as many questions as answers.  If you're committed to developing a plug-in, start an email thread with myself and Chris Bolin, from the add-on program.  His email is Chris.Bolin@ni.com and mine is Elijah.Kerry@ni.com.

Elijah Kerry
Message 7 of 7
(4,489 Views)