From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Development Best Practices Blog

Community Browser
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Best Practices for Dynamic VI Loading (VI Lifetime Management Video)

Elijah_K
Active Participant

The use of dynamically loaded VIs is a common and important approach for large applications.  It can help decrease load-time or make it possible to 'plug-in' new functionality into an existing application.  It's a concept I use in several of the examples I've shared in this blog, but one that often trips up users who are just experimenting with dynamic calls for the first time.

Christina Rogers, author of the Eyes on VIs blog, just posted a great video that explains how LabVIEW manages VI references, which is important for dynamic VI calls.  If you have a few minutes, be sure to check it out: VI Reference Lifetime

Elijah Kerry
NI Director, Software Community
Comments
vishots.com

For even more information, I go into this in great detail with the VI Shots tutorial: Dynamic Process VIs in LabVIEW

Michael Aivaliotis

vishots.com

Wire_Warrior

Okay....I must be missing something.  The link to the Eyes on VIs blog that I have does not link to this video.  The last post there is Aug 01/2011.  What is the correct URL?

Thanks

Jason

Wire Warrior

Behold the power of LabVIEW as my army of Roomba minions streaks across the floor!
vishots.com

I think it's just the video, no actual blog post.

Michael Aivaliotis

vishots.com