LabVIEW Communications System Design Suite

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

deploying a labVIEW 2012 vi to USRP NI 2920

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a LabVIEW VI to transmit and receive using modulation techniques using the USRP 2920. Basically, I would like to deploy the VI into the USRP NI 2920 and not depend on a desktop computer. Any advice on how to proceed with this would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(4,728 Views)

You will not be able to do this with LabVIEW and the 2920. However, a simple solution is to have a small device like a Raspberry PI or a Beaglebone Black run the host code and control the USRP. You may also want to investigate gnuradio for controlling your 2920.

Cheers,

Michael

Michael Bilyk
Former NI Software Engineer (IT)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(4,726 Views)

@AgentAstronaut wrote:

You will not be able to do this with LabVIEW and the 2920. However, a simple solution is to have a small device like a Raspberry PI or a Beaglebone Black run the host code and control the USRP. You may also want to investigate gnuradio for controlling your 2920.

Cheers,

Michael

Can you cite where stated that is not supported or anywhere that this can't be done? If possible

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(4,718 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author cdiaz093

Its probably documented, but the 2920 does not have a processor, so it can't run stand-alone. You can build an executable in LV to control the USRP without LabVIEW, but it doesn't have the capability to run headlessly.

You could possibly try a small stand-alone computer, though you would have to figure out streaming bandwidth (not sure what Raspberry Pi, etc. can handle) etc. on your own, so you could run into performance issues.

Rahul B.
Message 4 of 10
(4,711 Views)

The NI 2920 does not have an on board OS. NI-USRP, the driver required to run the 2920 requires an OS to run. Alternatively, you could use the FPGA to implement this functionality, but LabVIEW does not allow for user access to the NI 2920 in this way. Therefore the 2920 will not work as a disconnected device using LabVIEW. You could investigate how to do this is GNUradio, but I'm not certain about whether that will work.

What is the overall application? Maybe there is another solution.

Michael Bilyk
Message 5 of 10
(4,709 Views)

Using TX and RX to transmit between usrp 2920s, but for our application we can't use the desktop computer,  we tried LINX add-on with beaglebone but keeps getting errors when deploying the USRP AND IMAQ toolkits.

@AgentAstronaut wrote:

The NI 2920 does not have an on board OS. NI-USRP, the driver required to run the 2920 requires an OS to run. Alternatively, you could use the FPGA to implement this functionality, but LabVIEW does not allow for user access to the NI 2920 in this way. Therefore the 2920 will not work as a disconnected device using LabVIEW. You could investigate how to do this is GNUradio, but I'm not certain about whether that will work.

What is the overall application? Maybe there is another solution.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(4,699 Views)

I forgot to mention we are also using the b200, would this be possible?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(4,658 Views)

It has the same problems as the 2920 listed above.

Michael Bilyk
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(4,654 Views)

So instead of having the beaglebone handle the usrp, can we have the NI myRIO do that? This embedded device is supported more by labview and NI and does not require the LINX add-on to deploy to it.

Later, we can link the beaglebone and myRIO to get all the data from sensors in the beaglebone passed over to myRIO.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(4,645 Views)

Decided to go with a single board computer running windows 10.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(4,588 Views)