From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Communications System Design Suite

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the PXIe 7966R supported in LabVIEW Comms?

Hello,

I have an NI 5791 FlexRIO with an NI PXIe 7966R that I would like to use in LabVIEW Communications. Is it possible to use the 7966R even though it is not mentioned under supported hardware? I understand that the 7966R has a Virtex-5 FPGA whereas the all the other supported FPGA devices along with USRP RIOs have a Kintex-7, but I was wondering how/if that affects any of the underlying FPGA VI design.

Also, what is the typical way to connect the PXIe chassis to the host PC while working in LabVIEW Comms? I know that the USRP RIO requires the use of an MXI cable to run FPGA code, but can I use an Ethernet cable connected to the PXIe controller to do the same thing with the FlexRIO?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,093 Views)

Hi Inets,

Sadly the 7966R is not supported in LabVIEW Communications. The underling FPGA VI design would be the same, however the Virtex-5 requires the ISE compiler, and that compiler is not supported in LabVIEW Communications. 

To answer your second question, the way to connect to a PXIe chassis while using LabVIEW Communications is through either a MXI connection using a PCIe 8361/2 on a Windows 7 PC and a PXIe 8361/2 on the chassis, or with a controller in the PXIe chassis running Windows 7. 

BeenCoughin

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(4,074 Views)

Thanks for the help! (I posted the question before realizing it wasn't my account logged in)

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(4,042 Views)