LabVIEW Communications System Design Suite

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone tried connecting USRP RIO to PC via SFP/SFP+?

Hello everyone,

We are running an application which might need long range connection from PC to USRP (PCIe is probably out). Just wondering has anyone tried SFP/SFP+ fiber instead of PCIe or Express Card? I didn't find much information on this connection expect somewhere in the manual says "you can't edit FPGA with SFP/SFP+", does it mean I can only use the default FPGA or I can write my FPGA to USRP by using NI-USRP Configuration Utility but not be able to change the FPGA in Labview Communications?

I haven't got a PC with SFP/SFP+ network card, I'm thinking of getting an SFP to Ethernet adapter to give it a try first (PC --> 100M Ethernet card --> adapter --> SFP on USRP). Will it be the same as connecting USRP to the PC's 10G SFP+ ethernet card with the only difference as speed?

Anything would be helpful, many thanks!

Best Regards

Yi Chu

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,752 Views)

Hi Yi Chu, 

To give you a more detailed answer can I ask the following:

Which USRP are you using in this application?
What range is "long range"?

Best regards, 
Alastair

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(4,696 Views)

Hi Alastair,

Thanks for the reply! I am using USRP-2943R and by "lang range" I am guessing connecting the USRP to a host PC at least 50 meters away (we don't know the exact distance yet).

Best Regards

Yi Chu

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,694 Views)

The SFP/SFP+ fibre connection does not allow for control of the USRP. This connection would only be used to log data from the USRP, not for controlling the FPGA.

For control purposes and coding from LabVIEW communications the MXI cable is essential for the system to work. As the device is not a standalone device the device constantly needs to be connected. Thus the limiting factor for how far away the USRP can be from the PC is determined by the length of this MXI cable. Currently this distance is 7m.

Message 4 of 5
(4,666 Views)

Can we connect make the MIMO prototyping using USRP RIO 2942R and SFP+ port and a 10 gigabit Ethernet switch

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,609 Views)