cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advantage of Labview communication design software/suite

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I want to examine a communication prototype using USRP and LabView.

I think I will need the following toolkit,

NI modulation toolkit, Labview Mathscript module RT and NI digital filter design toolkit.

Here are my questions,

(1) The main difference between Labview communication design software and design suite is

the support to FPGA development?

If I do NOT need develop FPGA on Labview platform,

LabView communication design software and design suite are equal to me? 

(2) If I do NOT need LTE/802.11/MIMO application framework,

besides the lower price of labview communication design bundle with USRP devices,

what's the advantage of LabView communication design software/suite (compare to standard Labview version)?

It seems standard Labview 2018/NXG can work with USRP devices too,

and they also support NI modulation toolkit, Labview Mathscript module RT and NI digital filter design toolkit.

Thank you.  

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,984 Views)
Solution
Accepted by weifengchen

Hi weifengchen,

To answer you questions: 

(1) The main difference between Labview communication design software and design suite is

the support to FPGA development?

If I do NOT need develop FPGA on Labview platform,

LabView communication design software and design suite are equal to me? 

This is correct. LabVIEW Communications combines LabVIEW NXG with tools that are specifically created to help you rapidly prototype wireless communications systems. Specifically, it allows you to program the FPGA on a USRP-RIO or FlexRIO. If you only need to program the CPU, you don't need the LabVIEW Communications Suite

(2) If I do NOT need LTE/802.11/MIMO application framework,

besides the lower price of labview communication design bundle with USRP devices,

what's the advantage of LabView communication design software/suite (compare to standard Labview version)?

It seems standard Labview 2018/NXG can work with USRP devices too,

and they also support NI modulation toolkit, Labview Mathscript module RT and NI digital filter design toolkit.

Also correct. Previous LabVIEW Communications System Design Software licenses have been migrated to LabVIEW NXG Full Development System, so you just use LabVIEW NXG. You can download LabVIEW NXG with an active SSP membership or renew to access the latest version, and then install the right version of the USRP driver. 

The only correction I would make - we moved from the MathScript Module to a better, more full-featured Interface for MATLAB, see here for details: http://www.ni.com/white-paper/54843/en/ 

Rahul B.
Message 2 of 3
(4,960 Views)

Hi Rahul,

Thank you for the information, it did help me a lot.

Thank you again, have a nice day!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(4,947 Views)