From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Channel Wires

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Channel Wire Reference Leak

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I am elaborating a channel wire tag to stop parallel loop to make my code simpler as compared to notifier. However, I found a reference leak when using desktop execution trace toolkit. Any idea if I make any mistake in the program?

I am using this simple program to test.

Here is the message from Desktop Execution trace toolkit:

676413 21:40:14.1657490 Tag-bool.lvlib:))Channel.vi:7310015 Reference Leak 0 1 VI Unknown Leak : 0x18067E78

Details: Unknown Leak : 0x18067E78
Call Chain:
-- Tag-bool.lvlib:))Channel.vi:7310015
-- Tag-bool.lvlib:Instantiate.vi:4380002
-- Untitled 3
VI Path: C:\Users\Engha\Documents\LabVIEW Data\2018(32-bit)\ExtraVILib\ChannelInstances\Tag-bool\))Channel.vi
Thread ID: 0 --- CPU ID: 1

channel tag stop.png

Thanks & Regards,
Irfan
(CLD)
https://haliatech.com/
Message 1 of 7
(6,408 Views)
Solution
Accepted by irfanabid

Your program is correct, and there is a reference leak-- we create a reference internally in order to enable probing the channel and we neglected to close it.  The fix will be in LabVIEW 2020.  Thanks for spotting this and alerting us to it.

--Jeff

Message 2 of 7
(6,369 Views)

@jkodosky wrote:

....  The fix will be in LabVIEW 2020. ...

--Jeff

There is only one person that has the intestinal fortitude to predict which version a bug will be fixed in.

Smiley Wink

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 3 of 7
(6,364 Views)

Question: is this an actual reference leak or just a nominal one?  In other words, could one construct code where an unlimited number of such references are generated?  Because not everything called a leak by the trace toolkit is actually a leak.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(6,349 Views)

@jkodosky  ha scritto:

Your program is correct, and there is a reference leak-- we create a reference internally in order to enable probing the channel and we neglected to close it.  The fix will be in LabVIEW 2020.  Thanks for spotting this and alerting us to it.

--Jeff

Welcome to Agile development!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(6,306 Views)

@drjdpowell wrote:

Question: is this an actual reference leak or just a nominal one?  In other words, could one construct code where an unlimited number of such references are generated?  Because not everything called a leak by the trace toolkit is actually a leak.

Merely a nominal leak. In fact, it isn't exactly a leak... we are leaking "not a refnum". What's being reported as a leak is the cleanup proc is running to cleanup what is *potentially* a refnum, but turns out not to be.

No, you cannot construct an infinite leak with this.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(6,291 Views)

I wish the trace toolkit labelled things potential reference leaks.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(6,268 Views)