LabVIEW Channel Wires

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any issues with Channel wires and building an application?

A colegue is having fit trying to build an application that uses channel wires. He has whacked away everything and he can build OK if the channel wires are "diagram disabled" out.

Anyone else seen issues?

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(7,169 Views)

In my recent application i have 7 modules each with one Stream Channel. I build it regularly, and it works always ok.

Message 2 of 11
(7,158 Views)

I've got an application that "spawns clones".  Each Clone includes three independent VIs that communicate among themselves and with each other, not to mention with the "Mother Ship", using Channel Wires.  I would estimate that a Clone has on the order of 10 Channel Wires, and at full strength, we designed this to run up to 24 Clones (turns out we tend to saturate our 100-Base-T line at around 12 Clones).  So conservatively-speaking, I've got an executable that runs fine with on the order of 100 Channel Wires (mainly Messenger Channels).

Bob "Channel" Schor

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(7,127 Views)

I should update to close out this query.

We moved the code to another machine and it built just fine. So I am calling this an isolated issue for now.

Thanks for your replies!

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(7,117 Views)

I have an application that won't build as long as it has a tag channel in it.  Builds fine without.  Tested trying to build an application with only the tag channel (used the same way) and it builds just fine.  I'm clueless.

FYI.  It worked just fine in 2016.  Only became a problem with 2017

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(7,024 Views)

On the surface it sounds like the issue my associate had.

Moved to another machine and it built OK.

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(7,018 Views)

Since that application is part of a larger project, on a whim I copied that file and it's dependencies to a new project to test it.  Built the executable just fine.  So bizarre

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(7,013 Views)

@Mancho00 wrote:

Since that application is part of a larger project, on a whim I copied that file and it's dependencies to a new project to test it.  Built the executable just fine.  So bizarre

After upgrading from 2016 to 2017, did you open your top level vi? Also did you try to rebuild all VIs in the project, before attempting to build the project? I guess you did, but if not, the new LabVIEW version might not created all of the Channel definitions for your old project...

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(7,011 Views)

@Blokk wrote:

@Mancho00

After upgrading from 2016 to 2017, did you open your top level vi? Also did you try to rebuild all VIs in the project, before attempting to build the project? I guess you did, but if not, the new LabVIEW version might not created all of the Channel definitions for your old project...

Yes, I opened the top level VI. Even tried force recompile (<Ctrl> + <Shift> + Run Button). Everything works in development; it just won't finish build.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(7,008 Views)

For what it is worth, I have an application that uses a lot of Channel Wires (it "spawns clones", each of which consists of an Asynchronous Loop having 1 Tag and 3 Messenger Channels itself, and containing three parallel "internal" loops that have a total of 8 Messenger Channels interconnecting them with their "parent" clone + 1 Stream Channel for file streaming.  I've tested this with 10 such spawned clones (it's collecting behavior data, including video, from 10 stations).  In LabVIEW 2016, it builds fine and runs like a top.  In LabVIEW 2017 (which I've not been able to safely install on my own PCs, but have running on a test system in the IT Support Shop), it is difficult to load in Development Mode without "broken wires".  This has been reported to NI, and a CAR has been filed (it's apparently something to do with the Messenger Channel, my Favorite Channel Wire).

So I have to say that while I am a strong believer in and proponent of Channel Wires, and use them a lot, I've seen problems "introduced" in LabVIEW 2017, and feel somewhat responsible for not having spotted them earlier.  I was first alerted to the problem when I presented my Project to some colleagues, one of whom tried to load it in LabVIEW 2017 and found the broken arrows.  This happened about three months ago, which is when I managed to build a test system running LabVIEW 2017 on a Lab PC.  At that time, I notified NI about the problem, and they were able to duplicate it and file a CAR.

You might consider saving your Project for LabVIEW 2016 and seeing if you can build an Executable with that version.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(7,000 Views)