LabVIEW Champions Reading Resource Center

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The LabVIEW Style Book

When I started learning LabVIEW (Version 7.0, and a massive poorly-written LabVIEW RT routine with >800 VIs and TypeDefs, some block diagrams requiring >20 screens to view), the first two books I read were LabVIEW for Everyone, by Jim Kring, and the LabVIEW Style Book, by Peter Blume.  Needless to say, I've enjoyed the opportunity to meet both these (excellent) Authors at NIWeek, and typically bug them to come out with a New Edition (I've offered to proof-read it critically -- I have a special pen with Red Ink ...).

I've read The LabVIEW Style Book at least three times, cover-to-cover, and have dipped into it several times since.  It emphasizes a point I've tried to make with students who come to me wanting to "do something in LabVIEW" -- I tell them to first write down what they want to do, then come see me and we'll discuss how to do it.  I think the 2-D "structure" of LabVIEW puts more of an importance on "Good Style" than some other languages that you can "dress up" with some Comment Blocks, and Peter does an excellent job of "telling it like it was a decade ago" ...  But Good Style is always relevant!

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,877 Views)

Can you please share LabVIEW style book

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,875 Views)

The LabVIEW Style Book

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,870 Views)

I really like that book and continue to reference it.  Could definitely use an update though.  It would be nice to hear Peter's thoughts on LVOOP and libraries.

Sam Taggart
CLA, CPI, CTD, LabVIEW Champion
DQMH Trusted Advisor
Read about my thoughts on Software Development at sasworkshops.com/blog
GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,857 Views)