LabVIEW Champions Reading Resource Center

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(GOF) Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software

Author: Erich Gamma, Richard Helm, Ralph Johnson, John Vlissides (the Gang of Four)

Submitted by: Casey Lamers

Link: http://www.amazon.com/Design-Patterns-Elements-Reusable-Object-Oriented-ebook/dp/B000SEIBB8

Review:

I wanted to learn about design patterns a few years ago when I was trying to write object oriented code and to use best practices. I had to try this book a few times to understand what it was saying. In fact I had to read the Head First: Design Patterns and then come back to this book. Now that I am a bit more mature in OOP I can go back to this book and understand the different patterns. This book is written for the "Smalltalk MVC" text based language. So, you need to translate for LabVIEW.

This book establishes the vocabulary for talking about patterns and names the patterns.

Patterns covered include:

• Creational Patterns like abstract factory, builder, factory, singleton
  • Structural Patterns like Adapter, Bridge, Facade, Proxy
  • Behavioural Patterns like Command, Observer, Strategy

These are at this point (book was written in 1994) long standing standards.

I would caution that a programmer needs to do some OO Analysis and Design before just trying to use design patterns.

Casey Lamers

Phoenix, LLC

casey.lamers@phoenixwi.com

CLA, LabVIEW Champion

Check Out the Software Engineering Processes, Architecture, and Design track at NIWeek. 2018 I guarantee you will learn things you can use daily! I will be presenting!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 1
(4,404 Views)