Tomi Maila

Home:
San Francisco, California

Programming Languages:
LabVIEW, Python, C/C++, MATLAB

Certification:

Used LabVIEW Since:

Applications Areas:
bio-IT, data analysis, data management and data visualizaiton, software engineering tools, object-oriented programming tools and libraries

Biography:
As far as I can remember, I've always been attracted to science and engineering. I studied physics, mathematics and computer science at the University of Helsinki and got my masters degree in 2002. A few years before I finished my studies I started to work for a company in telecom industry. My task was to analyze what new interesting solutions start-up companies had to offer and develop new technology and business concepts for our company. As we mostly worked on consumer products, usability was an important design factor. During the years in telecom business I learned the importance of user centric design process and of good user interface design. In 2004 I began as a graduate student and research scientist in biosciences. My intention was to learn biosciences and develop novel ways of taking advantage of modern computer science and information technology in biosciences. This is where I first encountered LabVIEW. In the beginning LabVIEW was just another programming language. However it soon became clear to me that I love the elegance of visual programming. The more I've worked with LabVIEW, the more I've felled in love with visual programming in itself; not only as a tool to accomplish tasks but as an interesting programming paradigm. LabVIEW Object-Oriented Programming is especially close to my heart.

User Groups:
LabVIEW User Group in Helsinki, Finland

Discussion Groups:
NI Discussion Forums, LAVA, OpenG

Websites:
ExpressionFlow

Contributors