From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Champions Directory

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW Champion: Steen Schmidt

Member Profile - Steen Schmidt

SSC_Small.jpg

Home:
Hinnerup (a suburb to Aarhus), Denmark.

Programming Languages:
LabVIEW and TestStand (if you can call that a programming language).

I have been programming in C, C++, Java, VB, native ARM, and different assembly languages. I last touched an ordinary compiler in 2009 I think, so now it’s LabVIEW only 🙂

Certification:

CLA, CTA & CLED.

Used LabVIEW Since:

I saw LabVIEW (4.1 I think) for the first time around '97-'98.

Applications Areas:

All sorts of applications, probably about 80% is on Real-Time and FPGA. Typical stuff is HIL simulators, big DAQ systems (multiple controllers, 1,000+ channels), and using TestStand outside prodution testing (as a general sequencer for software verification or simulation environment preparation for instance).

Biography:

I grew up in the Aarhus area and hadn't much exposure to technology in my family really. Until 1997 I was sure I was going to be a jet fighter pilot - had all the papers ready, pre-med checks and all. I had done some programming at that time, and had become rather good at it, but I didn't know you could make a living of being a programmer. I hadn't ever met one that did, I think?

Then a buddy of mine began studying to Electrical Engineer, and he told me that was very cool. Engineer? I thought that was something about digging in mud and building bridges (see how enlightened I was?). Ok, I checked it out, and decided to give that a go. And lo and behold, EEs do programming as well as electronics. Ok, I might be decent at this anyway. I already liked math and physics, so that was shaped for me. While doing the EE I worked as trainee at Denmark's at that time largest NI integrator (DSE). I also did my final project at DSE, and then held a few jobs over the next years at different development houses - doing all sorts of stuff, military, bagage handling equipment, and wind turbine controllers. Check my LinkedIn profile if you wish to know more details.

In 2006 I started work at small NI integrator (CIM), which when I left it in 2012 had grown into the biggest NI Alliance Partner in Denmark, and a competitor in the Northern Region of Europe. With CIM I executed more than a 100 LabVIEW and TestStand projects, some small, but several of considerable size (5-6 developers and 4-5,000 man-hours). I was awarded for some of the achievements, and at CIM I met the NI certification program (didn't know it existed before that actually). In a year and a half I did the CLAD, the CLD, the CTD, the CLA, and then the CTA.

In 2012 I felt I couldn't grow more with CIM and had to do something else. Find a place that had the same quality standards as I have. I couldn't join JKI (I can't move to the States just now), so I had to start my own (no pun intended, there are several great LabVIEW places - most of them in the States though). That became GPower - the GPower brand actually existed before 2012, as I had previously released toolsets on the LV Tools Network under that brand. So here I am, hiring employees and growing the business.

User Groups:

We're in the process of starting an LVOOP user group here in Denmark. Since I've spent so much of my time working with NI Alliance Partners I wasn't allowed to spend time on user groups and other silly stuff like that. We should go consult some customers! That's not a GPower philosophy I might add.

Discussion Groups:

A little bit of everything (NI Discussion Groups and Lava).

Websites:

www.gpower.as

Comments
swatts
Active Participant Active Participant
Active Participant
on

Steen international man of mystery.....welcome matey

Steve

Opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Fab,Joerg and Brian amongst them):
DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshop

Random Ramblings Index
My Profile

Thoric
Trusted Enthusiast Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast
on

Hurrah! A fine addition to the Champions group!

Thoric (CLA, CLED, CTD and LabVIEW Champion)

SteenSchmidt
Trusted Enthusiast
on

Thanks guys, a splendid company to join 🙂

Yeah, I'm still pondering the problem of how to update this document. Or I could let it stand as it is suggesting NI has lowered the bar for Champions inductees 😉

CLA, CTA, CLED & LabVIEW Champion
CRoebuck
Member Member
on

Really great to see you added to the list Steen and to see GPower doing good also. Gongratulations and hoping 2014 continues well for you 🙂

Don't forget to give Kudo's for a good answer !

LabVIEW Champion
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Certified TestStand Architect
FabiolaDelaCueva
Active Participant Active Participant
Active Participant
on

Welcome Steen and congratulations! I have enjoyed learning from you at the CLA Summits.  It was great when you mentioned the issue with the timeout event case during Justin Goeres' prsentation. I have always enjoyed technical discussions with you. I am looking forward to seeing you at the CLA Summit in Europe.

For an opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Steve, Joerg, and Brian amongst them):
Check out DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshop!

DQMH Lead Architect * DQMH Trusted Advisor * Certified LabVIEW Architect * Certified LabVIEW Embedded Developer * Certified Professional Instructor * LabVIEW Champion * Code Janitor

Have you been nice to future you?
Mark_Yedinak
Trusted Enthusiast
on

Welcome aboard Steen!

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
SteenSchmidt
Trusted Enthusiast
on

Thanks, I'm looking very much forward to seeing as many of you as possible this year - I'll be at the European CLA Summit and at NIWeek. Haven't been to the States since 2011, so I'm thrilled about returning of course.

GPower is doing great, but it's a tough job. Didn't realize up front how much work is in this. I'm probably doing 80-90 hours a week, and get paid for maybe 30 of those. But hey, it's the most fun I've had professionally since I picked up my first LabVIEW user guide (that was when those were heavy and made of real paper 🙂

CLA, CTA, CLED & LabVIEW Champion
Contributors