Name:

Dr. Richard Thomas    

Home:

Durham, England

Programming Languages:

LabVIEW (incl. RT and FPGA)

Certification:

Certified LabVIEW Architect (CLA)

Certified LabVIEW Embedded Systems Developer (CLED)

Certified TestStand Developer (CTD)

Used LabVIEW Since:

2000 (Version 6i)

Applications Areas:

Software consultancy providing solutions to most scientific and industrial software challenges.

Biography:

I currently run Thoric Solutions Ltd, a small LabVIEW consultancy catering for all things LabVIEW, whilst also working in the Production Engineering Department of Draeger Safety in the North East of the UK.

I've programmed in LabVIEW since version 6i as a post-grad student at Leicester University, where I used LabVIEW to acquire and analyse data from a large scale laminar wind tunnel. I expanded my experience further when I took up a post-doc position at the Turbomachinery Group of the Engineering Department at Cambridge University, where LabVIEW is used extensively for hardware control and instrumentation acquisition and data analysis. I then worked as a Lead Senior Systems Engineer at Product Technology Partners, also based in Cambridge, UK.

I'm a hugely enthusiastic LabVIEW programmer, and enjoy pushing LabVIEW and NI hardware to their limits.

In Cambridge I hosted the Cambridge LabVIEW Users Group, winner of the European User Group award 2013, and frequently present material on a wide range of topics, with my favorites being Object Oriented programming and User Interface design.

User Groups:

In Cambridge I regularly present at the Cambridge LabVIEW User Group (CLUG). We gather four times a year in the Cambridge area. Visit our website if you are interested and want to come along (https://decibel.ni.com/content/groups/clug-cambridge-labview-user-group).

Discussion Groups:

NI LabVIEW Forums, NI Community, Cambridge LabVIEW User Group forums, LAVA

Links:

Twitter (ThoricCLA)

LinkedIn

www.ptpsequencer.com

Articles:

Thomas, R., “Creating an Endurance Testing Solution for Motor and Gearbox Lifetime Qualification Using CompactRIO”, 2012, Case Study paper for NI

Finalist in the Graphical Design Achievement Awards - Automated Test category 2012.

Thomas, R., “Using LabVIEW and PXI to Develop a Design Qualification System for Digital Audio Broadcast Technolog... – Part 1”, 2011, Case Study paper for NI

Thomas, R., “Developing a Highly Scalable Turnkey System for Hydraulic Testing Using LabVIEW and CompactRIO” 2009, Case Study paper for NI

Contributors