LabVIEW Champion: Ed Dickens

LabVIEW Champions Member Profile - Ed Dickens

Love Glasses.jpg

Name:
Ed Dickens

Home:
Castle Rock, Co.

Programming Languages:
LabVIEW, LabVIEW Real Time, LabVIEW FPGA, dabbled with CVI (too much typing), Simulink, Matlab

Certification:
Certified LabVIEW Architect (Oct. 2007), Certified Professional Instructor (Aug. 2004)

Used LabVIEW Since:

LabVIEW 6i, 2000

Applications Areas:

Data Acquisition, CAN, Manufacturing Automation, R&D Automation, Software verification, Control Design, automotive, agriculture, construction equipment, biomedical, machine control and monitoring, engineering design and test, production testing and vision applications.

Biography:

• I'm a Certified LabVIEW Architect and an NI Certified Professional Instructor.
  • I currently work for DISTek Integration Inc. in Cedar Falls, Iowa as a Systems Engineer where I mainly work on system design, requirements gathering and internal code management.
    DISTek is an NI Certified Alliance Partner with an emphasis on Control Design applications. Areas we have worked in are automotive, biomedical, machine control and monitoring, engineering design and test and production testing.
  • I've done some work for OpenG.org and help organize and run the Iowa\Nebraska LabVIEW Users Group (INLUG).
  • I started using LabVIEW in 2000 when it was literally dropped on my desk when I first started at DISTek while assigned to an engineering group at our largest customer. ("There's a new guy, let's give it to him.") I taught myself by going through the Basics 1&2 books and by building simulation applications to assist in embedded software design. That's when I got hooked.
  • A couple years later, DISTek was looking for ways to expand, so we thought we'd take LabVIEW on the road. We joined the NI Alliance program and our group has been growing ever since.
  • I've previously worked for Rockwell Collins as an Electronics Technician for a System Engineering team. Our group worked mostly on Government projects. I also spent several years in the Army as UH-1 (Huey) mechanic.
  • I hold B.S. in Software Engineering and an A.A.S. in Electronics Engineering.

Discussion Groups:
NI Discussion Forums, LAVA, Info-LabVIEW mail list

Websites:

Articles:
LTR Vol. 11, Num. 3, "Did You Know That...You can use a window's "X" button to properly stop and exit an application?"

Books:
Assisted in the editing of the Third Edition of "LabVIEW for Everyone" by Jeffery Travis and Jim Kring

User Groups:

Contributors