From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Champions Directory

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW Champion: Casey Lamers

headshot-brighter.jpg

Name:

Casey Lamers

ni.com/forums
name:

CaseyLamers1

Home:

Madison, WI

Programming Languages:

Exclusively LabVIEW, unless you count functions in Excel

Certification:

CLA

Used LabVIEW Since:

Applications Areas:

Embedded Machine Control, Scientific Instruments, System Integration

Biography:

Let me start off by saying that I have a cool job as the head software engineer on a nuclear fusion particle accelerator at Phoenix Nuclear Labs. I get to work with a lot of smart people. I get to challenge myself daily. And I get to do it all while playing on the computer! LabVIEW is my full time video game.

I didn't start my career as a software engineer. I have had jobs where I had to "wear many hats". Initially LabVIEW allowed me to solve some small problems. Gradually the problems got bigger and bigger. I graduated to embedded control while building a custom laser welder. At the time I was responsible for CAD design, parts specification, building, controlling, programming and running the machine. These days I am surrounded by talent that takes care of the surrounding activities and I am left to "solving" the controls.

I have grown as a programmer, and NI and LabVIEW offered tools to meet the growing scope of the challenges. I specialize in Object Oriented Programming, specifically Actor Framework on Compact RIO (cRIO). I was the first customer to deploy an Actor Framework (AF) project to a cRIO. To my knowledge, I still have the largest AF project deployed to cRIO.

I believe in Continuous Improvement. I am frequently reading on software engineering practices and tools like Continuous Integration (CI), Unit Testing, Design Patterns, etc.

As the software team has grown I have also taken to studying Agile project management and Scrum. I have also implemented CI at Phoenix Nuclear Labs.

I like to have conversations regarding best practices and what people are doing to be successful. Feel free to ask me a question, especially with regards to AF on cRIO or general development practices.

I believe the solutions to the big problems always boil down to lots of small easy to solve problems. Small easy problems, now that is something I can handle! Note: I don't take myself too seriously.

Discussion Groups:

Actor Framework
Continuous Integration (started by me)
Actor Framework on cRIO (started by me)
Certified LabVIEW Architects
LabVIEW Architects Forum
Big Physics
Madison LabVIEW User Group Communitiy
LabVIEW at UW-Madison

Articles:
LabVIEW, cRIO and FPGA technology provides a flexible development platform for bringing a particle accelerator to market

2012 Big Physics Summit Poster Presentation

Controlling a Nuclear Fusion Particle Accelerator

2013 NIWeek Conference Presentation

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-30762

Object Oriented Programming, Design Patterns and Actors in LabVIEW

2014 CLA Summit Presentation

Software Engineering Using the Actor Framework and Object-Oriented Programming to Solve Big Problems

http://www.ni.com/newsletter/51856/en/

Continuous Integration in LabVIEW Using Agile

2015 CLA Summit Presentation

Comments
FabiolaDelaCueva
Active Participant Active Participant
Active Participant
on

Welcome to the group.

I am looking forward to continue to learn from you, your posts on the Actor Framework group have helped me a lot.

For an opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Steve, Joerg, and Brian amongst them):
Check out DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshop!

DQMH Lead Architect * DQMH Trusted Advisor * Certified LabVIEW Architect * Certified LabVIEW Embedded Developer * Certified Professional Instructor * LabVIEW Champion * Code Janitor

Have you been nice to future you?
Thoric
Trusted Enthusiast Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast
on

Brilliant work Casey, glad to have you in the Champions group!

Thoric (CLA, CLED, CTD and LabVIEW Champion)

Contributors