LabVIEW Automotive Ethernet

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireshark

Wireshark is a useful utility to read network packets. It is available to download for free at https://www.wireshark.org/download.html. Log files in the libpcap format (.pcap) that are created using the examples (i.e. Raw Ethernet Frame Decode) can be opened and interpreted with Wireshark. You can also verify that packets are sent from the examples (i.e. Raw Ethernet Frame Encode) using Wireshark by applying the appropriate display filter. For example, one could send a frame with a made-up destination MAC address and set the Wireshark display filter to show only packets with that destination MAC address.

For an in-depth Wireshark tutorial, see Getting Started with Wireshark.

Example capture session in WiresharkExample capture session in Wireshark

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(6,002 Views)

I would like to capture a data stream and display its content in DIAdem. The data contains current and voltage readings of transducers and delivers 4000 samples per second. Is there a data plugin for DIAdem to e.g. read an existing Wireshark log file and interpret the values and put the data into the DIAdem data portal? 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(4,565 Views)

@Newton2k1, how do you interpret the values? Arxml database? I would think you could write ( or let write) a data plugin that parses pcap, deserializes the protocol and then stores into Diadem channels.

Andreas Stark
LabVIEW Lead @ Rocket Factory Augsburg
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,556 Views)

Meanwhile I‘ve got a detailed description of the data of my protocol merging unit (MU) and how it does look in Ethernet. Preferably I would like to start the recording, e.g. with a executing vbs-script in DIAdem and later stop it of course. The data, which was sent during the recording time would then show-up in the data portal and I could then add measurements from analog channels of e.g. the comparison shunt and prove the calibration of the digital transducer chain. I don‘t know if DIAdem can directly read from Ethernet or if e.g. tshark must be installed and called with a system command to record the data packets. 

Preferably the recording should be done in my transient recorder, but the change of its software seems not possible without substantial development.

I don‘t use a database to store measurement data, but we have a DFSE installed to host all laboratory measurements.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,547 Views)

@Newton2k1: I believe what you describe is possible, but I don't think the NI folks with DIAdem expertise are monitoring this forum focused on Automotive Ethernet in LabVIEW. May I ask you to create a NI support case. The technical support engineer should be able to get you more details on how to do this and also connect you with the DIAdem experts if necessary.

Andreas Stark
LabVIEW Lead @ Rocket Factory Augsburg
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,544 Views)