From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Architects Forum

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Meeting Tuesday, February 28: Modeling and Averaging Data

Meeting Logistics

• Location: Mopac C, 1S13 @ NI headquarters 11500 North MoPac Expressway, Austin TX
  • Date: Tuesday, February 28, 2017
  • Time: 6:00 PM Central Time
  • Duration: ~2 hours
  • Format: Presentations
  • Food: An accurate headcount helps here so please register if you are attending in-person. If you are not an NI employee, please register here. NI employees should use internal invitation; if you are not already on the list, please contact fabiola@delacor.com. If you are attending remotely, there is no need to register, just join us using the Remote Attendance coordinates below.

Meeting Topics

Averaging data in FPGA

Presenter: Aaron Gelfand

Averaging data can take many forms, for a project, I was requested to implement a time weighted average to smooth data spikes. The time weighting formula could be adjusted to a user specified value (# of averages), and also had to account for situations in which older data did not yet exist. FPGA code requires data to be fixed in length. Although not successfully implemented in FPGA during the project (had to move it up to the RT layer), this presentation will show how I was eventually able to implement the code in the FPGA, and some of the changes made to make it scaleable for a large number of channels while using minimal FPGA resources.

Data Modeling using Objects

Presenter: Damien Gray

The various minimization and fitting VIs included in LabVIEW were written a long time ago (late 90s?). Some include options to dynamically call a function, others do not. Most have a fixed set of starting conditions that do not give you the flexibility you need when modeling things like third order surfaces or highly nonlinear functions. A bit of copy / paste into an object-based model solves most of these problems, and allows you the flexibility needed to successfully model something complex. I have completed basic functionality (Nelder-Mead and Conjugate Gradient minimizers with arbitrary functions) and currently use these methods for modeling complex physical systems. There will be examples!

Remote Attendance

Thanks to Sixclear for sponsoring remote connection. If you cannot make it to NI, join the web conference

For an opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Steve, Joerg, and Brian amongst them):
Check out DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshop!

DQMH Lead Architect * DQMH Trusted Advisor * Certified LabVIEW Architect * Certified LabVIEW Embedded Developer * Certified Professional Instructor * LabVIEW Champion * Code Janitor

Have you been nice to future you?
Message 1 of 3
(6,448 Views)

Hi Fab,

I was unfortunately caught off guard by the "upgrading the forum unsubscribes you from the group" issue, and missed this meeting.  Was it recorded?  If so, how can I view it?  Thanks!

Drew

Drew T.
Camber Ridge, LLC.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(6,308 Views)

@FabiolaDelaCueva wrote:

I have completed basic functionality (Nelder-Mead and Conjugate Gradient minimizers with arbitrary functions) and currently use these methods for modeling complex physical systems.

Just noticed this great presentation by Damien. I have written a VI model based Nelder-Mead fitting well over 10 years ago and have posted a simplified version here in my nonlinear fitting group for those interested. It is "pin-compatible" with nonlinear curve fit and can be used as a simple drop-in replacement.

Message 3 of 3
(3,591 Views)