LabVIEW Architects Forum

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Meeting Thursday, June 20, 2019: Topic: Malleable VI (VIMs)

[Edit: Added videos from the meeting, thanks to Chris Stryker for editing the videos]

Meeting Logistics

• Location: Mopac C, Room 1S13 @ NI headquarters 11500 North MoPac Expressway, Austin TX
  • Date: Thursday, June 20th, 2019
  • Time: 6:00 PM Central Time
  • Duration: ~2 hours
  • Format: Presentations and discussion
  • Food: An accurate headcount helps here so please register if you are attending in-person. Please register here. Even NI employees can use the online registration, there is no longer a need for a separate NI only email. If you are attending remotely, there is no need to register, just join us using the Remote Attendance coordinates below.

Meeting Topics

Using VIMs to enable simpler and more flexible reference libraries

Presenter: Craig Hitchman

Malleable VIs (VIMs) are a feature in LabVIEW 2017+ that allow more dynamic compile-time type propagation. When building reference libraries this behavior can be used to reduce the number of VIs you have to create and make the interface more powerful. This presentation looks at how Craig utilized VIMs to solve pin-abstraction programming challenges in NI Semiconductor Test Systems (STS), and all the different considerations that came into play. Details include making the proper decisions about reentrancy settings within the reference library to reduce compiled code complexity (don’t inline everything!) to balance edit-time performance with runtime performance.

Getting there from here

Presenter: Aaron Gelfand

You have a customer requesting a solution, where do you start? How do you plan an architecture? Take a walk through the customer request, follow-up investigation and architecture design for a quick turn project (customer asked me to drop what I was already doing and give a proposal in 5 minutes and a finished project in no more than two weeks). 

Remote Attendance

Thanks to Sixclear for sponsoring remote connection. If you cannot make it to NI, join the web conference

• Join the Screenshare
For an opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Steve, Joerg, and Brian amongst them):
Check out DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshop!

DQMH Lead Architect * DQMH Trusted Advisor * Certified LabVIEW Architect * Certified LabVIEW Embedded Developer * Certified Professional Instructor * LabVIEW Champion * Code Janitor

Have you been nice to future you?
Message 1 of 8
(4,952 Views)

Is Craig going the full 2 hours or is the second hour open right now?

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(4,906 Views)

Am I no longer presenting?

Message 3 of 8
(4,898 Views)

I'm only presenting for the first section, the second slot is open. Aaron, what is the title and abstract for your topic? I expect you can have the slot, assuming Fabiola is alright with it 🙂

Craig H. | CLA CTA CLED | Applications Engineer | NI Employee 2012-2023
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(4,879 Views)

Title: Getting there from here

Summary: You have a customer requesting a solution, where do you start? How do you plan an architecture? Take a walk through the customer request, follow-up investigation and architecture design for a quick turn project (customer asked me to drop what I was already doing and give a proposal in 5 minutes and a finished project in no more than two weeks). 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(4,872 Views)

original post updated!

For an opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Steve, Joerg, and Brian amongst them):

DQMH Lead Architect * DQMH Trusted Advisor * Certified LabVIEW Architect * Certified LabVIEW Embedded Developer * Certified Professional Instructor * LabVIEW Champion * Code Janitor

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(4,848 Views)

It has been brought to my attention and Craig's attention that the title should be "Malleable VIs", the term VI Macros only lives in the .vim extension. VI Macros is what Jeff K called them, but once they were released, the feature was named Malleable VIs.

There is one more trivia question for the Challenge the Champions contest at NIWeek 😉

See you on Thursday,

Fab

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(4,788 Views)

@FabiolaDelaCueva wrote:

It has been brought to my attention and Craig's attention that the title should be "Malleable VIs", the term VI Macros only lives in the .vim extension. VI Macros is what Jeff K called them, but once they were released, the feature was named Malleable VIs.

There is one more trivia question for the Challenge the Champions contest at NIWeek 😉

See you on Thursday,

Fab

Thanks to David Corney for bringing the name issues to our attention.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(4,783 Views)