cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Run tool with hot key -- Or run at startup

Solved!
Go to solution

Thoric wrote:

interestingly, as a side note, if you load lv_new.vi, you can see "XNode" within the default entries of the Create New table, which disappears as soon as you run it.

For my own enjoyment I have written an XNode manager similar in look and feel to the project manager.  It always kind of bugged me that I was doing all of this work when NI would just have to flip a switch in software somewhere.

Message 11 of 16
(1,191 Views)

Darin.K wrote:

For my own enjoyment I have written an XNode manager similar in look and feel to the project manager.  It always kind of bugged me that I was doing all of this work when NI would just have to flip a switch in software somewhere.

Did you ever share that anywhere Darin? I'm keen to 'discover' the power of XNodes (one day), if your manager is in the public domain I would certainly be interested in taking a look.

Thoric (CLA, CLED, CTD and LabVIEW Champion)

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 16
(1,191 Views)

There was one created that I grabbed off the lava forums. I think the next step in scripting will be for NI to release xnodes more publicly. However, I don't believe they should ever be included on the startup window because that's just asking for trouble, especially with people who are just picking up LV

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 16
(1,191 Views)

@Thoric - I tried to make it fully open, but I still use a few private methods so I haven't posted it on any NI pages.  I originally thought that the current code contest was going to allow us to work on our own projects so my goal was to ultimately provide a blank template XNode with the common abilities and a simple VI which lets you duplicate it for making new ones.  Instead it seems they like to assign me homework, so when I am done I'll try to get back to it.  There is also the Lava version which is functional, I just made mine similar to the existing project manager and added some tools to make the code scripting easier.

Or I could join Lava someday and post it over there, they don't mind a little brown on their PNs.

@for(imstuck) - In my own opinion, XNodes are easier to build and use than XControls.  Plus they are much, much cooler.  I think NI should open them up via NI labs, much like scripting.  They seem to be working on some form of generic VI with the same dynamic type adaptation that makes XNodes so useful, maybe they'll make that capability open when it is available (yeah, right).

Message 14 of 16
(1,191 Views)

I'd like to make some commenting abilities like has been suggested on the idea Exchange but haven't gotten around to digging into and fully understanding xnodes. Besides, I figure ill probably end up completing it and the next month NI will release better commenting options in LabVIEW haha.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 16
(1,191 Views)

Darin.K wrote:

maybe they'll make that capability open when it is available (yeah, right).

It always kind of bugged me that I was doing all of this work when NI would just have to flip a switch in software somewhere.

Ouch

If you'd like to chat about this more in depth, feel free to shoot me an email (it's listed on my profile)

Chris Bolin
LabVIEW Partner Program, CLA
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 16
(1,191 Views)