LabVIEW APIs Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Run tool with hot key -- Or run at startup

Solved!
Go to solution

I had two pretty straight forward questions but I can't seem to find the answers. Feel free to just point me to an article that has them, if one exists and I missed it.

1. How can I use a key combination to call my addon? For example, control + space opens QD.

2. How can I run my addon at startup. For instance, if I want it running in the background while I code.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16
(11,447 Views)

I see you can do #1 via the options...->menu shortcuts. Can I also set this from a file that's loaded, or possibly use scripting to set it?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16
(5,890 Views)

1. Use Quick Drop shortcuts

2. Sorry, you can't really do that currently.

Chris Bolin
LabVIEW Partner Program, CLA
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16
(5,890 Views)

Edit to 2:

You could possibly use JKI's Right Click Framework for this.

Chris Bolin
Message 4 of 16
(5,890 Views)

Doesn't the RCF run at startup if you set it to? Or is it using access to something not available to the public?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16
(5,890 Views)

RCF does, in fact, have the ability to do things on LabVIEW launch. This is part of a larger feature set that was given to JKI and a few other LabVIEW Product Partners to enable the building of specific LabVIEW add-ons (like RCF).

Chris Bolin
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16
(5,890 Views)
Solution
Accepted by GregFreeman

See this post to start VI at startup of LabVIEW

LabVIEW ChampionArchitect
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16
(5,890 Views)

Dany -

Thank you for posting this. I actually didn't know this was "public" information. But do be advised, this doesn't come without some risk. There is only one VI that can be name the init VI, and this could be used/overwritten by any of LabVIEW's add-ons. Also, I am not sure if this mechanism will persist into the future. But, for your purposes, this may work just fine.

Chris Bolin
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16
(5,890 Views)

Added a LabVIEW Wiki page here describing all the callbacks:

http://labviewwiki.org/Development_Environment_Event_Callback_VIs

Message 9 of 16
(5,890 Views)

interestingly, as a side note, if you load lv_new.vi, you can see "XNode" within the default entries of the Create New table, which disappears as soon as you run it.

Thoric (CLA, CLED, CTD and LabVIEW Champion)

Message 10 of 16
(5,890 Views)