LabVIEW 2022 Public Beta

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broken Wire Usability Issues

It looks like this wiring behavior is the same as 2020 but I found it when messing around with the Search 1D Array VIM.  Attached is a video demonstrating it.  It looks like what happens is a segment of a wire is intentionally broken, and then if the rest of the wire becomes broken, and then an Undo is performed.  Then the wire appears broken when it really isn't.  The Undo should return the VI back to the way it was.  At the end of the video you can see a broken wire, but the run arrow is seen.

Message 1 of 6
(1,924 Views)

Hi Brian,

Thank you for reporting this issue. I've created Bug 1959196 to track it.

Just to set expectations, though: since the VI is functional, I don't expect that we'll prioritize fixing the incorrect wire appearance soon. If you believe this issue will make it difficult to use LabVIEW, please let me know so I can reevaluate.

Christina Rogers
Principal Product Owner, LabVIEW R&D
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(1,832 Views)

Hi Christina,

I really don't agree with the outcome here.

Wiring in LabVIEW is so fundamental, you cannot gloss over this kind of thing.

NeilPate_0-1658145951439.png

This behaviour shown above is clearly a bug that I would find extremely annoying. Hopefully this issue reported is just a weird corner case with VIMs and undo... otherwise this version is definitely a skip for me.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(1,689 Views)

@Neil.Pate wrote:

otherwise this version is definitely a skip for me.

I tested it back in to version 2020 and the issue was there then too.  It likely exists since VIMs were added.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(1,679 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:

@Neil.Pate wrote:

otherwise this version is definitely a skip for me.

I tested it back in to version 2020 and the issue was there then too.  It likely exists since VIMs were added.

I do seem to wire them in a way that I get this all the time, right from the beginning.

The only way out seems to be to delete the vim and put a fresh one on the BD.

Probably hash and compile cache related?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(1,669 Views)

Since the introduction of the search 1D array.vim, I am typically getting annoyed by unnecessary broken wires.

In 80% of the cases, I am searching boolean arrays for TRUE and this temporarily breaks the code (unlike the classic search 1D array).

For example, Wiring a boolean array to the top will break the wire for no obvious reason until we wire a boolean scalar to the element input. Beginners might stop after the first step and conclude that the function does not work for booleans at all! 😞

altenbach_0-1659374112491.png

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(1,617 Views)