From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW 2021 Public Beta

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[New Feature] macOS Big Sur Support

LabVIEW 2021 Beta supports macOS Big Sur.

Packages are now signed so that the LabVIEW installer doesn’t present a security warning.

Note, however, that LabVIEW doesn’t yet support the Apple M1 chip; testing with Rosetta 2 has uncovered an issue which affects LabVIEW.

Christina Rogers
Principal Product Owner, LabVIEW R&D
Message 1 of 50
(4,587 Views)

Could we know what does not work ?

My (little) testing with LV2020 SP1 on M1 showed that everything run smoothly?

Just install LV2021 and it also works fine so far.

Message 2 of 50
(4,485 Views)

Hi Christina

Thanks a lot for this! In fact LV2021beta PDS for MacOS installed alright on a M1 MBPro under MacOS 11.2.2! The installation prompted for the need to install Rosetta first which was a snap as well as to install LV2021 thereafter. I moved all my existing wireworks to this brand new MBPro now and so far all the old projects did open and the recompiles went well. This is so far... who knows what's ahead;-) Generally my rather longtime experience with LV on the Mac proves that things have worked stable and up to my satisfaction/expectation.

Now, one big problem is the capability for DAQ possibilities. LV with no way to interact with the physical real world is nearly of no use. Is there a plan in this domain?

Anyway, I keep on wireworking with LV on this fine new ARM powered Apple and I shall report inconveniences if I find any. Is this the forum to report bugs?

Happy wireworking yours

Urs

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 50
(4,462 Views)

@_Chris wrote:

My (little) testing with LV2020 SP1 on M1 showed that everything run smoothly?

Just install LV2021 and it also works fine so far.

We're seeing certain cases where we get errors while loading VIs. The team hasn't completed investigating the issue yet, so I can't give a more specific description.

Christina Rogers
Principal Product Owner, LabVIEW R&D
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 50
(4,395 Views)

@Christina_R wrote:

@_Chris wrote:

We're seeing certain cases where we get errors while loading VIs. The team hasn't completed investigating the issue yet, so I can't give a more specific description.

Thanks for the clarification.   The phrase "an issue" covers a lot of ground! 😃

I just got my new M1 MacBook Air today so I will follow up on this.  (My SSD on my old 2013 MB Air died last night so it was fortunate I had a replacement on order).

LabVIEW ChampionLabVIEW Channel Wires

Message 5 of 50
(4,091 Views)

Yeah dear sth! I have been testing LV2021 on a M1 MBPro for a while and have so far not really experienced discomfort, except lacking hardware driver capability of course. Now, this might be due to the fact I have mostly ported/renovated existing code that does not need DAQ modules and this is of course a rather small part of my LV-wireworks. Also, I have so far not embarked on a larger scale new project on the M1 powered MBPro but I did create some new test VIs. Until now I had to report only a very few, mostly cosmetic issues though. So I am glad to know the one and only LV power user is aboard too!

Best from Urs, the old faithful LVer on the Mac side of the G code ocean;-)

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 50
(4,077 Views)

Regarding USB connected hardware, it is possible, I'm currently using USB DAQ "devices" that runs fine on M1 in Rosetta/virtualisation mode 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 50
(4,074 Views)

Chris, Thanks for that update on USB support.  It is really hard having this "stealth" Mac support!  I had NIDAQmxBase running with BS and an external Thunderbolt-PCI card.  However, it would take data once and then fail if I needed to restart the data acquisition.  A reboot would cure this, but I didn't try forcing a driver unload/load sequence that might do the same thing.

It would be really nice if NI would be working with our favorite Rosaceae fruit company to get some drivers.  Actually just resurrecting the NIDAQmxBase RLP driver would be a start and hopefully not a lot of work and new code to update and cleanup.

I can dream, can't I?

LabVIEW ChampionLabVIEW Channel Wires

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 50
(4,067 Views)

I forgot to mention the device I'm using is not a NI device even tough NI also sell it and drivers are in beta.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 50
(4,065 Views)

Yeah, dreaming is fine but dreams almost never come true, generally and with DAQ driver support for contemporary LabVIEWs for the MacOS specially.

Chris, I am curious about what kind of DAQ device you used and if you need special driver software other than LV? I would estimate that porting DAQmx Base further up would be the easiest solution for NI to go for. The problem though is, that DAQmx Base does not support NI's performant modern DAQ-hardware but USB driven low cost modules like the NI USB-6015 etc. should be OK. There is probably simply no longer a responsible person to maintain that G and the related RLP access code. In fact I recently got a message that the NI-DAQmx Base Developers group in the forum was archived. Not a good sign if you ask me... I still do dream on as long as I can though...

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 50
(4,054 Views)