LabVIEW 2021 Public Beta

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[New Feature] Improved LVCompare functionality for git

LVCompare now takes relative paths as parameters and can be used as the diff tool for git.

Christina_R_0-1618887593961.png

Christina_R_1-1618887606012.png

Christina Rogers
Principal Product Owner, LabVIEW R&D
Message 1 of 4
(2,784 Views)

I am going to guess that this Compare functionality does not work for target specific code.  Thus a project that has code for RT or for FPGA will fail the Compare since it will try to launch one (or both?) copies in a non-project environment as just a My Computer target.

I can't test this since there is no LV21 RT or LV 21 FPGA betas.  BUT, if so, this still makes the LVCompare function not suitable for git on any complex project.

LabVIEW ChampionLabVIEW Channel Wires

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,146 Views)

@sth wrote:

I am going to guess that this Compare functionality does not work for target specific code.  Thus a project that has code for RT or for FPGA will fail the Compare since it will try to launch one (or both?) copies in a non-project environment as just a My Computer target.

I can't test this since there is no LV21 RT or LV 21 FPGA betas.  BUT, if so, this still makes the LVCompare function not suitable for git on any complex project.

Unfortunately, you are correct that we haven't solved the problems when diffing target specific code. We are, however, aware that this is a shortcoming and hope to address it in a future version.

Christina Rogers
Principal Product Owner, LabVIEW R&D
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,118 Views)

@Christina_R wrote:

Unfortunately, you are correct that we haven't solved the problems when diffing target specific code. We are, however, aware that this is a shortcoming and hope to address it in a future version.

I'll be patient, but it has made git (and SCC in general) a lot less useful.  We had a long discussion on this with the Champions about a year ago.

LabVIEW ChampionLabVIEW Channel Wires

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,082 Views)