From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Hobbyist Toolkit

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LINX API for beaglebone Black

Am I able to use the LINX VI's with a beaglebone black to read from SPI pins? I can use either labview 2020 or 2014. I've written VI's for signal processing, which originally read 2 TCP streams from a router connected to the beagleboard. We've replaced 1 TCP stream by building directly connected hardware amplifier. Before I write firmware in C, I'd like to be sure that I can't connect to these pins with the LINX VI's. Thanks for any information. The recent change that routes all makerlab website traffic to the NI forums is a real bummer as I can't find the tutorials anymore.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(1,394 Views)

While I haven't played with the Beaglebone Black yet, yes Linx does allow to access the default SPI bus /dev/spidev1.1 on the Beaglebone Black. No other SPI busses are supported out of the box and would require modifications of the liblinxdevice.so source code. You may however find that accessing the SPI bus through Linx may not be the optimum if performance is very important, such as when accessing high speed data streams.

You can however always write your own shared library in C(++) that does whatever you need and provides a higher level API to be called through the LabVIEW shared library node. 

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(1,347 Views)

We only need 500-1000Hz max for SPI communication. Does that seem reasonable. But yeah I appreciate the suggestion. We will see how fast we can get it with the LINX API, and write our own shared library if we must.

Thanks for the advice.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(1,330 Views)

1000Hz bit speed or 1000Hz reading 16 bit or larger values? That makes a big difference. Also if you can read large frames with multiple values in one go that also is a lot different than having to read a lot of small frames.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(1,317 Views)