Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what kind of changes I have to do when I move from GPIB Controller to GPIB-USB Controller.

I want to know some information about GPIB-USB Controller. We are using National Instruments GPIB Controller to read and write data in a Instrument called Diagnostic Readout Box(DRB III) which will hook up with the Engine controller of the car. Now we plug-in the GPIB card in to the I/O slots of the Computer. Now, we want to use GPIB-USB Controller instead of GPIB Controller because of its portability and other features. However, we have developed some C++ applications which are available in the form of DLLs that will interact with the DRB III. Do we have to do any modifications in the coding of these applications when we move into the GPIB-USB controller?.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,755 Views)
Once the GPIB-USB is configured, it behaves exactly like a PCI-GPIB board so you should not have to change your program. The GPIB-USB is only supported on Windows 95 and 98. If you are planning on using the GPIB-USB on 95\98 you would still use driver version 1.6 or 1.7. If you need to work on Windows Me or 2000, then you will need the GPIB-USB-A and driver version 1.0. The GPIB-USB is not supported on NT.

The USB-A driver does not allow you to use GPIB device templates. This issue is covered in Knowledge Base 266CNP00 (see link below).

http://ae.natinst.com/operations/ae/public.nsf/fca7838c4500dc10862567a100753500/862567530005f09f862569ec006c8bef?OpenDocument

Kim L.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,755 Views)