Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vxi/visa tcp (Newbie)

Hi,

I'm new here and new to VXI/VISA, I'm hoping somebody may be able to give me a gentle prod in the right direction 🐵

I have been tasked with writing an interface for a device which uses VXI over TCP, I have managed to use VISA to communicate with it, but I want the application that communicates with the device to be portable between PCs without having to reinstall VISA everytime, I tried copying the DLLs and the headers accross that are used by the app but when I ran it I got errors all over the place.

I am now looking into using only VXI but cannot find any documentation on how to do this, and the bits and pieces there are make it look like a mammoth task....which I'm sure / hoping it isn't ...

Can anybody help me ??

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,934 Views)
In the application builder you can select to add visa to the installer, so what are you afraid for?
greetings from the Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,922 Views)

What you are trying is 1)write a PC application that controls existing VXI-11 interfaced instrument? or 2)implement a device firmware that is compliant with VXI-11/LXI standard?

when case 1), you can simply use VISA library to control any VXI-11 instrument with using LabVIEW, CVI, C++, C#, VB, etc...

when case 2), you need implement RPC (Sun Microsystems' ONC-RPC) engine in the device firmware, because VXI-11 requires RPC as its lower layer. To implement this, you can use a 3rd party library or have to write RPC/VXI-11 wrapper codes over the TCP and UDP layers.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,855 Views)