Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

suse 11 install NI-VISA

I've installed the latest version of NI-VISA for Suse 11. Made the proper edits to get around the GCC/kernel version miss-match issue.  Ran updateNIDrivers and there is no indication of a build failure however the kernel module nipalk.ko does not build. The nikal.ko module does build properly.

uname -a
Linux perth 2.6.25.16-0.1-default #1 SMP 2008-08-21 00:34:25 +0200 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

gcc --version
gcc (SUSE Linux) 4.3.1 20080507 (prerelease) [gcc-4_3-branch revision 135036]

My intention is to write applications Linux that use the NI-VISA for serial, gpib, ethernet and usb. The libnipalu.so libraries are being built. The final hurdle seems to be the kernel module nipalk.ko.

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,488 Views)

Hi,

Could you please explain in detail your modifications since I'm facing this problem with the gcc missmatch with suse 11.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,473 Views)

Please refer to this forum thread.

http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=250&message.id=34134&requireLogin=False

Ben

National Instruments
Certified LabVIEW Associate Developer
Certified TestStand Developer
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,461 Views)

Just for information:

With the newest NI-KAL 1.9 ( http://joule.ni.com/nidu/cds/view/p/id/1195/lang/en ) I was able to install and run the NI-VISA 4.4. For sure they will apply this patch also to the NI-VISA package, but If somebody is as unpatiant as me, here are my steps on SUSE 11 with 2.6.25.18-0.2-default kernel:

1. Install first NI-KAL 1.9

(refer to the readme with the kernel issue steps and run afterwards the INSTALL script from the folder containing the INSTALL script)

2. Install then NI-VISA 4.4 that will recognized the installed NI-KAL and scip that part causing the problems

(refer to the readme with the kernel issue steps (don't remake the kernel) and run afterward the INSTALL script form the KERNEL source folder itself)

Regards Promme

PS: Thank you NI guys

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,273 Views)