Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

simultaneous measurement with two multimeter periodically.

Dear,

I would like to measure two DC voltages (~several 10 V) with two independent voltmeters simultaneously.

The measurement should be done in every 2 seconds interval for 1000 seconds (in this case, 500 measurements). 

According to previous paper, one used 53131A counter and 33220A function generator.

Unfortunately, I have never used the counter and I am wondering a counter can send the control signal to a voltmeter for finite period in every 2 seconds.

Please verify this setup or suggest some instruments for simultaneous measurement for my purpose.

labmaster.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(1,071 Views)

You need to provide more information on the multimeter and other instruments you've access to that can be included in the setup (such as the counter you're mentioning).

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(1,064 Views)

I can use two 3458A multimeters to measure two voltages. 

As you can see, my setup can be heater and I want to estimate the heat energy (summation of series "time interval(2 s) x electrical power") exactly by using a reference resistance.

Best,

labmaster.

yahoo.JPG

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(1,048 Views)

With the information you've shared so far, this is how I would approach your requirement,

1. Connect the output of the function generator to EXT TRIG input of both 3458A
  2. Configure the function generator to generate a 0.5Hz square wave for the total duration of your experiment
  3. Configure the 3458A DMM to use the trigger to measure and store in memory
  4. Start the DMMs first to wait for the trigger, and start the Function generator
  5. Query the function generator occasionally to see if it completed the generation for the requested duration
  6. Once the duration is completer, fetch the measured points from the memory of each 3458A

To implement the above you need to familiarize yourself with the SCPI commands of your instrument to achieve the above functionalities by referring the user manual or the programmer's manual of respective instruments.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
Message 4 of 7
(1,039 Views)

Dear  santo_13,

Very thank you for your comments.

I understand what you mean.

However, can you guess the function of a counter in this measurement?

From my experience with function generator long time ago, I didn't remember the finite time for wave duration.

Is it possible to do so in recent machine?

or can it be realized with the counter?

labmaster.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(1,017 Views)

Keysight 33500B, recent model of function generator, has a burst mode for my purpose.

The number of cycles can be set up to 1M or infinite.

labmaster.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(1,001 Views)

You want to read every 2s, to do that in sync with two 3458 you need to use the ext trigger.  The generator can provide that trigger pulses.

Start and stop ot the pulse generation can be done via 488 in LabVIEW. No problem to read some samples more , just count them up and reject them (if needed).

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(952 Views)