Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

serial ports of the NI 9871 also appear in MAX alongside the built-in serial port(s) of the target under Devices and Interfaces --DOES NOT?? NO NI 9871 (Scan Interface)??

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi -- Have cRIO

Can anyone help me get the  NI 9871 (Scan Interface) Working??  My Two 9477 and two 9425 and 9403, function with the Scan Interface.  In MAX > Software > NI-Serial RT 3.82 > NI-Serial 9870 and 9871 Scan Engine Suport 3.8.2, BUT NO == MAX > Devices and Interfaces >  Serial & Parallel === NO Com Ports for 9871 listed?   In Project,  4-Port RS485 NI 9871 is there in slot1?  Any help appreciated  thanks

serial ports of the NI 9871 also appear in MAX alongside the built-in serial port(s) of the target under Devices and Interfaces

NI 9871 (Scan Interface)

NI-RIO Software Help 4.0

Edition Date: August 2011

Part Number: 373197B-01

»View Product Info

CompactRIO Serial 4-Port, RS485/RS422 Module

Programming Overview

Serial Port Information

In order to use the NI 9871 in Scan Interface mode, you must have NI-Serial RT with Scan Engine Support installed on the RT target. Use MAX to install NI-RIO on the RT target. If you use a Recommended Software Set, select NI Scan Engine, which includes NI-Serial 9870 and 9871 Scan Engine Support, on the Add-on Selection dialog box of the installer. If you do a custom install, select NI-Serial 9870 and 9871 Scan Engine Support as a sub-item of NI-Serial RT on theFeatures dialog box of the installer.

To put the NI 9871 in Scan Interface mode, add it to your project directly under the chassis item. The serial ports of the NI 9871 appear as selectable VISA I/O items that you can use in RT VIs. Use VISA resource name constants and controls to change properties, read from, and write to the ports as if they were built into the RT target. The serial ports of the NI 9871 also appear in MAX alongside the built-in serial port(s) of the target under Devices and Interfaces.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(5,839 Views)

Hello Briana123,

From your notes, I’m not entirely sure if the COM ports are showing in MAX, under Remote Devices in your cRIO. Could you please confirm this? Have you deployed the project as mentioned in this KB?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(5,815 Views)

If you are having problems with serial ports showing up in MAX, I would suggest upgrading to NI-Serial 4.0 on both the host and target side.

http://joule.ni.com/nidu/cds/view/p/id/4270/lang/en

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(5,805 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author BRIANA123

I moved the 9871 from Slot 1 to Slot 8 and Know works and MAX displays the 4 com ports.  Something is mis-configured in Slot1?

Solved!!!

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(5,801 Views)

Hi

I am using 9871 with 9014 controller and 9102 chassie.

NI Scan Engine support for 9870&9871 is also installed on the target as well as host

But still i am unable to detect the 9871's ports In MAX can anybody help plz..

Virtually Powered by
Labview...
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(5,539 Views)

Greetings abhiundre2000

Have you tried the suggestions outlined in this article?

Tell us if that solved the problem. Have nice day.

Luis J.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(5,497 Views)

Hi Tortu

Thank your for your valuable reply yes i tried the way discribed in the article

but still the problem is sme I think Its because of I am using the module under the 9101 chassie

which dose not support the scan mode.But the 9871 individually supports the scan mode so it must appiere in the MAX below the devices and interfaces.

please suggest the solution what should I do.

Virtually Powered by
Labview...
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(5,480 Views)

Hello,

It appears that you are posting on a thread that was answered a few months ago.  In order to allow for better visibility from our engineers, as well as help us document the types and volume of support questions we take, we request that you create a new post on the front of the forums asking your question.  You are still encouraged to link this thread as a reference for your questions on your new post.

Thank you!

Nick A

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(5,439 Views)