Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

serial port configuration and connection problem

Is there any way to delay the VISA open until it's the time to send out connection command to target via VISA write?

My current project has around 15 seconds time delay between VISA Open and UUT power up to send "connect" command via VISA write.

If UUT is not powered-on when VISA open, it will generate error 0xBFFF0072 (resource is valid, but VISA can't currently access it) and serial port can't be connected anymore.

I'm wondering if there is some way I can configure the time for VISA Open operation because I don't want to use time delay.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,224 Views)

You can open the visa connection just before you write, so I don't understand the problem.

I hope you don't open and close for each command

greetings from the Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,214 Views)

I'm implementing a custom device for NI VeriStand. VISA Open and VISA Configuration starts to run once the RT Driver runs. While VISA Write is controlled by WorkSpace which is launched 15 seconds later than the RT Driver runs. The UUT needs to be powered on before VISA Open, otherwise, error 0xBFFF0072 will occur. But if UUT is powered on before VISA Open, VISA Write will fail due to our 5 second delay protocol.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,176 Views)

I'm sorry I don't use veristand so maybe someone else takes over.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,164 Views)

Thank you for your help. I fixed the problem.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,158 Views)

Maybe you could post the solution for other people

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,156 Views)

I bet it's pretty simple for others. I just walked into a dead corner and couldn't think of anything else.

I used a while loop to wait for "Connection" command to be available from WorkSpace input. Once it's available, power up the UUT and start to VISA open and configuration operation.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,153 Views)