Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

serial connection issues

I am trying to control a laser through a serial port.  I am using the NI USB to RS232 cable connected to the computer.   Accordiing to the laser user guide in need a DTE-DTE interface.  The laser pin out shows a 3 wire connection so GND-GND, Cable Tx to Laser Rx, and Cable Rx to Laser Tx.

I am using the Labview example "Basic Serial Write and Read.vi"   Set the parameters to match the user menu.  Sending the command code and carriage return yields nothing.  I am supposed to be able to send only a carriage return and get a response of "BCMD".  Nothing there either.

The only time I get anything is if I disconnect the GND-GND.  Then I get a loopback response. 

I have tried to loopback all the other connections not used for the 3 wire configuration for the USB cable but that doesn't help.  Disconnected the system and checked the DC voltages on the pin outs and there is a negative 5.9 V between ground and each Tx pin for both the USB cable and the laser.

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,617 Views)

I expect you have already tried it: Swap the line 2 and 3 (Rx and Tx) )

Next play around with the baudrate , databits,parity. 

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,611 Views)

Seems I have fixed the problem.  There was a special enable code that needed to be sent before any other commands would be accepted.  Once the enable code was sent, all the others worked just fine.  This was no where in the manual.   

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,597 Views)

Hi Rob

for all other users please provide the type ad manufacturr of the laser and the code that is needed before communicating

greetings from the Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,595 Views)

The laser is a YLR-series high power fiber system manufactured by IPG Photonics.    To use the remote operation through the RS-232.  A "EEC" (enable external control) needs to be sent first.  The laser will not respond to any code such as "RFV" (read firmware version)  or even invalid command code unless the "EEC" is received first.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,532 Views)