From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pcmcia gpib adaptor

Hi

I have a pcmcia-gpib card. Which type adaptor (expresscard, usb) should be used for using for a laptop computer without pcmcia slot? Any suggestions and experience?

Regards

erattag

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,925 Views)

I have a pcmcia-gpib card. Which type adaptor (expresscard, usb) should be used for using for a laptop computer without pcmcia slot? Any suggestions and experience?

---------

Pcmcia-gpib card is just for GPIB to PCMCIA, so your laptop need pcmcia slot.  For most of laptop without pcmcia slot, USB-GPIB card is a better choice.

Colin

Colin Zhang
------------------
LV7.1/8.2/8.2.1/8.5/8.6/9.0/2010/2011/2013/2015/2016/2020; test system development; FPGA; PCB layout; circuit design...
Please Mark the solution as accepted if your problem is solved and donate kudoes

Home--colinzhang.net: My Blog

iTestGroup: One-step test solution provider!
ONTAP.LTD : PCBA test solution provider!
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,914 Views)

Thanks. We have three PCMCIA-GPIB cards. Shall we just throw away, or is there any adapter to convert it to usb or exprees card?

Regards

erattag

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,889 Views)

There are adapters on the market than can connect PCMCIA to USB or ExpressCard, but we really have no idea if they are going to work properly. My experience with PCI to PCMCIA adapters has been that they often do not work correctly, especially for 16-bit PCCARD devices such as the PCMCIA-GPIB. Some adapters work, and others do not. You won't really know until you purchase one and try it.

In general, you are going to see much higher performance and far fewer system compatibility issues if you upgrade to a GPIB-USB-HS or ExpressCard-GPIB. These also have the advantage that they are supported in Windows Vista/7 (including 64-bit), where the PCMCIA-GPIB is not.

-Jason S.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,860 Views)
let me know if you are getting rid of the GPIB/PC Card adapters. i need some for my use here in Alaska, but can't afford to buy new ones. doug
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,687 Views)