From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ni visa driver install slow downs in different platforms

Hi,

I am creating an installer for our device using Setup Factory from indigorose. It creates an .exe file, when run it moves all the files within it to their folders on the end-user's computer. Four of those files are the .inf and .ini file,for two separate interfaceports, that are generated through NI-Visa Driver Wizard. It installs by running a simular command: rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 filename.inf . One problem I am having is that in Windows 7 and Windows Vista it takes roughly a minute or two per inf file, as in Windows XP, the whole installation takes approx. 20-30 seconds. I am unsure as to how to use the .ini file, as I only make the installer using the .inf file. Also, The NI-Visa Driver Wizard does not generate a .cat file. I have also try to create a .cat file using inf2cat in the Windows Driver Kit and installing it in the same folder as the .inf files and do not notice any change. 

Can you guys let me know if I am doing this correctly, or if there is a better way to distribute NI-Visa Driver for our instrument. I am pretty new to installers and distributing drivers as well as .inf,.ini,.cat files.

Thanks,

Daniel

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,659 Views)

Hey Daniel,

Here is a link to a really good tutorial that, if you scroll down a little, explains how to use the Instrument Driver VI Wizard in much more detail than I would be able to.  I'm not sure whether you are having trouble with Setup Factory - in which case they would definitely be more knowledgeable about configuring their program, or on the driver side of things but I hope the above link will clear some things up.  If you are using LabVIEW and just need to create an installer and executable to deploy to a target machine, you might also consider looking at this link which details distributing applications in LabVIEW.

Regards,

Trey C.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,649 Views)