Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

need help to obtain a screen capture of a E5052A over GPIB

Hello,

I would like to transfer a screen image of a E5052A instrument to my PC over GPIB. 
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(6,446 Views)
Have you looked at the programming manual for the instrument? Page 83 talks about the command to save either a bmp or png file and a couple of pages later there is an explanation of how to transfer a file from the instrument to the pc. There's even a sample program.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(6,433 Views)
Hello,

Yes I looked at the program and had the command MMEM:STOR:IMAGE "\d:test.png\", however, I need to know how to read in the data in Labview over the GPIB.  The instrument keeps locking up with I try to do the read.  Is there a sequence to get the data out from the instrument to the PC?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(6,430 Views)

I don't have the instrument to experiment with so I would have to speculate. It looks like the command is MEM:DATA? "\d:test.png\". Are you using the regular VISA Read or the VISA Read to File? I have had some problems with large files and the VISA Read to File but you can try both. Does the MEM:CAT command list file size. If it does, then you can use that information to break the operation into several reads.

Your other option is to do what I do for instrument screen printouts. Skip the built in screen dumps and just save an image of the LabVIEW front panel. All of the information on the instrument's screen can be displayed by the VI.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(6,427 Views)
In you latter solution, can you also get a capture of the markers?  If not, going back to your first solution, I'm doing the read over GPIB and I'm using the 488 GPIB READ.  In a HPVEE routine, a read of the header, then the bytes(=22.04k) and then a read of the byte array is carried out to the *.png file.  All this is done after the MMEM:DATA? function is executed in HPVEE.  Can this be translated to Labview?
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(6,421 Views)

Markers can be displayed as cursors on a LabVIEW graph.

Whether you use a GPIB Read or VISA Read, the operation is the same in LabVIEW. If the header is a known size, do a read of that number of bytes, convert to a number, pass that value to another VISA/GPIB Read, save the results to a file.

Here's some LabVIEW code from an Agilent Scope driver. The principal should be the same.

Message Edited by Dennis Knutson on 09-13-2007 02:51 PM

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(6,419 Views)

Any body found this solution?

for your information, this equipmenmt is Windows base (win2000), and commands and drives than you put ( \d:test.png\), are saving the data/picture into intrument drive, not into PC. you can access to that files easily using network connection.

in my case I need to transfer that files using GPIB, any body has something?

thank you guys

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(5,597 Views)

It sounds like there was a solution proposed above.

What exactly are you trying to do, and where are you seeing problems?

---

Peter Flores
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(5,551 Views)

here the solution

Message 9 of 13
(5,526 Views)

Hi Imontoya,

It sounds like you may have found a solution to your problem.  I wanted to verify that this was the case, and if not please clarify your question so we can better help you.

Cheers,
Kelly R.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(5,494 Views)