Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

looking for a LCD Display Panel

I've searched the forums and found posts about how to talk to small LCD Display modules, but I'm looking for suggestions for hardware. I'd like a small panel, maybe 2 to 4 lines of characters, 40 to 80 wide. Serial interface would be fine, but Ethernet would be better. There are tons of them out there, but the problem is that they are all parts. I'm looking for a product, not a project. I may need 30 of these, so I don't really want to have to put them each in a box, add connectors and power suppy, etc. I just need a nice, packaged module that I can mount next to a machine and send some text to from LabVIEW. Any ideas?

Thanks,

DaveT

-------------------------------------------------------------
David Thomson Original Code Consulting
www.originalcode.com
National Instruments Alliance Program Member
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Certified Embedded Systems Developer
There are 10 kinds of people: those who understand binary, and those who don't.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,483 Views)

Hey Dave,

Could you provide some insight on what you are needing the serial displays for in your project?

--Hunter

Hunter D.
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,423 Views)

Dave:

Thought that would be a slam dunk, but it appears not to be so.

The closest I could find are POS (Point of Sale) units, but those are trending towards VFD's now away from LCD's.

Examples here:

https://www.neweggbusiness.com/product/product.aspx?item=9b-49-103-052

http://www.promageurope.com/products/displays/usb-rs232-mini-pole-display-vfd-20x2-dsp860.htm

-AK2DM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,419 Views)

Hunter:

We need a few dozen displays, so that we can put one next to each test stand in a factory and display key status for that stand.

AK2DM:

Thanks! I'm not tied to LCD, just looking for something relatively cheap and simple. The POS units look great! I wish there were 4 line displays, but we could probably live with 2 line. These definitely look like a possibility.

(I thought it would be a slam dunk too! Seems like there should be a market for a simple character display unit for industrial automation. The closes I could find is https://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/HMI_(Human_Machine_Interface)/C-more_Micro_Pan... which are actually cheaper, but intended for talking to a PLC. Could probably figure out how to communicate with them. They just aren't quite as simple as I hoped.)

DaveT

David Thomson Original Code Consulting
www.originalcode.com
National Instruments Alliance Program Member
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Certified Embedded Systems Developer
There are 10 kinds of people: those who understand binary, and those who don't.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,411 Views)