Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hp 54120a

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm hooked up to a HP 54120A and I can't seem to connect to it. I have sent it simple VISA-based queries and they all get timed out.  Max sees it as GPIB0::7 and I can select it as a device ID in LabVIEW. But I can't get it to listen or talk to me. Someone I talked to on the phone suggested that I toggle the TALK/LISTEN mode on the front panel. All I can see is a LOCAL button and nothing happens when I press it. I have a program that I wrote a year ago and it worked back then. But someone else was playing with the buttons on the scope back then and he's not here any more.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,234 Views)
Was this 'someone' from Agilent? They and the manual should be your primary references. It does not sound like an NI problem.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,231 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author oyester

Use the front panel menu select HPIB>>Mode=Addressed ("Someone" probably thought that setting wouldn't bother you if it went away) Or wanted to print to an old plotter

see page 173

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 3 of 7
(4,197 Views)

Once I read what you said, the cobwebs came loose and I remembered what I had to do. No, this wasn't a LabVIEW problem, and I knew it. But I was getting desparate. I was having trouble getting help from Agilent because it took me a while to figure out that they don't like Chrome browsers. It was a very frustrating week.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(4,115 Views)

Hi,

I have the same problem. But I cant find the menu

HPIB>>Mode=Addressed 

The attached image shows what the screen says. Please help

Thanks,

Sagar Kapadia

@JÞB wrote:

Use the front panel menu select HPIB>>Mode=Addressed ("Someone" probably thought that setting wouldn't bother you if it went away) Or wanted to print to an old plotter

see page 173

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,517 Views)

Hi ks1974ln,

I just wanted to say that since this thread is so old, you might be better off creating a new post that links here. If you don't get an answer, give that a try!

Casey G.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,501 Views)

Hi CaseyG,

I created another post with more details at

https://forums.ni.com/t5/Instrument-Control-GPIB-Serial/Getting-a-Time-out-error-on-HP-54120A-connec...

Thanks,

Sagar

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,493 Views)