From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to use third party usb 485 interface

I have a third party usb-485 interface that we frequently use within our company and want to be able to use Labview to create a program to talk to our systems. The interface is a kk systems usb-rs485 isolated converter which I have been able to recognise in MAX explorer after using the NI VISA driver wizard but I am unsure how to now use it for 485 comms within Labview. I don't seem to be able to detect it with the VISA configure serial port vi. I have used the NI usb-485 interface before and found this quite easy to set up but am not sure how to use this third party interface. I have attatched screen shots of the MAX window to show what it is seeing. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,002 Views)
Using the VISA wizard is just the wrong thing to do. Why did you do this? The correct method would be to simply use the windows device driver you have always used. If shows up in windows as a com port, it will appear on MAX the same way. You have to undo everything.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,993 Views)

I have undone everything as recommended and the comm port does appear in the devices tree but when I try to use the device I don't seem to be able to get any response even though I can select the port as the VISA device name in my vi. I am pretty sure I have the baud rate etc.set the same as when we use the interface in other software,is there something else I need to do? I am using the rs485 example in labview as my code which works with the ni-usb485 we have. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,986 Views)

There are numerous reasons for a VISA timeout and a serial device. You could have the wrong com settings, the wrong cable, the wrong command, the wrong termination character, etc.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,968 Views)