From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to trace vi session and RM session and see what is currently opened

Hi,

I am troubleshooting a problem between LabView and an instrument driver.  From the NI Spy, we see several RM session opened and several VI session opened to communicate to the instrument driver.  Anyhow, what troubles us is that, intermittently, NI Spy would capture a call to viOpenDefaultRM() function and there is no corresponding viClose().  Also, assuming if everything opened and closed properly, I won't expect the value of the RM session handle and the value of the VI session handle would change, but, intermittently, the handle value would change and is going up. 

So, to further troubleshoot, I am wondering is there a tool that I can monitor, in real time, shows me a list of RM session opened and list of VI session opened.

Thanks.

Peggy

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(4,731 Views)

You are not able to understand the existing test program?

If what you describe is true, then whoever wrote the test program did a poor job.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(4,724 Views)
opening and closing very often is bad design. Except for special cases we open once and close at program end.
greetings from the Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(4,708 Views)
Yeah, we are using LabView, calling third party, vendor drive. So, we don't have too much say on thier stuff. What we trying to determine what we see should cause alarm or not

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(4,695 Views)

@PeggyC wrote:
Yeah, we are using LabView, calling third party, vendor drive. So, we don't have too much say on thier stuff. What we trying to determine what we see should cause alarm or not

I am not sure I understand what you mean.

Did you pay a third party to write the software?

I know of no instrument that requires repeated opening and closing of sessions to communicate.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(4,687 Views)
we are writing test software and we are looking at vendor provided DLL to code our functions.

The repeat cames because our test software structure is providing a more scripting type of the environment.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(4,684 Views)

My colleagues here use a test executive that is based on Python a scripting language. It does NOT do multiple opens and closes.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(4,682 Views)
What is the driver and where did you get it. All of the standard driver architectures have separate open and close functions. If this is not the case, the vendor should rewrite the code to do so. If they do exist, there should be no excuse for your scripts to not use them once.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(4,673 Views)