Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to open a VISA session

Hello,

I recently installed the PCI-8431/2 and I'm trying to run a loopback test, but I'm getting this error:

VISA:  (Hex 0xBFFF0011) Insufficient location information or the device or resource is not present in the system.

I have already used the installation CD, but I don't know if I did anything wrong or missing to do something.

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,097 Views)

Do the serial ports show up as COM ports in the device manager?  Can you see the COM ports in MAX?

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 7
(4,096 Views)

I manually added the COM1 and COM2, but they appear as not present.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,094 Views)

I think I don't have installed the correct software, could you help me with the correct one? I'm trying to use the serial port from a PCI 8431/2

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(4,084 Views)

I think that card just needs NI Serial for the drivers.  You should also make sure you have VISA installed.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 5 of 7
(4,082 Views)

I have downloaded VISA two times, but I don't know if I'm installing the correct version. Do you have the link where I can download it?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(4,080 Views)
The version should not matter that much and you can simply click the Support button at the top of the page. You do need NI Serial so please download that.

If you think you have compatibility issues, it is essential you provide the version of the driver and your os.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,072 Views)