From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

gpib windows xp pci

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a National Instrument PCI-GPIB board. Markings on the board are N114, 109A06A, Assy: 1685138-01. The board is a half-height board.

After installing 2.7.3, I insert this card into a Dell Optiplex GX520 with Windows XP SP3. Windows does not find the driver for this card. It displays the yellow question mark with PCI Simple Controller.

The Vendor ID is 1093. The Device ID is 50A1.

What should I do next?

Is this board simply not supported?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(7,995 Views)

@KeithSmith wrote:

I have a National Instrument PCI-GPIB board. Markings on the board are N114, 109A06A, Assy: 1685138-01. The board is a half-height board.

After installing 2.7.3, I insert this card into a Dell Optiplex GX520 with Windows XP SP3. Windows does not find the driver for this card. It displays the yellow question mark with PCI Simple Controller.

The Vendor ID is 1093. The Device ID is 50A1.

What should I do next?

Is this board simply not supported?

Why wouldn't the board not be supported?

http://www.ni.com/nisearch/app/main/p/bot/no/ap/tech/lang/en/pg/1/sn/catnav:du,n8:3.25.123.785,ssnav...

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(7,991 Views)

I'm confused.The referenced link shows a listing of software NI-488. Yes NI-488 2.7.3 is supported under Windows XP.

The information I'm looking for is "Is the board I have supported by version 2.7.3?"

I haven't found a list of the boards supported in NI-488 2.7.3. I'm not even certain what is the 'model' or 'name' of the board I have. This was why I listed all the markings.

The Vendor ID,1093, for my board is a National Instruments vendor ID for PCI devices. The Device ID, 50A1, does not appear in the Windows Drivers INF file. All the device IDs in the Windows Drivers INF file start with the number 7.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(7,987 Views)

Is it really too much of an effort to download the NI-488.2 driver file and install it?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(7,985 Views)

@KeithSmith wrote:

I'm confused.The referenced link shows a listing of software NI-488. Yes NI-488 2.7.3 is supported under Windows XP.

The information I'm looking for is "Is the board I have supported by version 2.7.3?"

I haven't found a list of the boards supported in NI-488 2.7.3. I'm not even certain what is the 'model' or 'name' of the board I have. This was why I listed all the markings.

The Vendor ID,1093, for my board is a National Instruments vendor ID for PCI devices. The Device ID, 50A1, does not appear in the Windows Drivers INF file. All the device IDs in the Windows Drivers INF file start with the number 7.

I'm confused too. You said it is an NI PCI-GPIB board. That would be the model of the board and that model is certainly listed in the 2.7.3 readme. If there is not a marking saying NI PCI-GPIB, why would you say that is the board you have?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(7,981 Views)

OK. The board I have an NI PCI-GPIB board.

It is supported in 2.7.3.

However, Windows XP cannot find the device driver for the PCI-GPIB board.

Windows defines the device as a PCI Simple Controller with a yellow question mark.

It was suggested that I download NI-488.2 driver file and install it. Where do I find this file?

I did a search for "NI-488.2 driver file" and found only NI-488 software with various versions.

What did I miss?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(7,976 Views)

The driver file is the 2.7.3 file that you already installed. Is it listed in MAX (expand the software listing).

p.s. All hardware drivers can be found by clicking on the Support link at the top of the page.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(7,973 Views)

@KeithSmith wrote:

OK. The board I have an NI PCI-GPIB board.

It is supported in 2.7.3.

However, Windows XP cannot find the device driver for the PCI-GPIB board.

Windows defines the device as a PCI Simple Controller with a yellow question mark.

It was suggested that I download NI-488.2 driver file and install it. Where do I find this file?

I did a search for "NI-488.2 driver file" and found only NI-488 software with various versions.

What did I miss?

Did you by chance re-install XP on this PC?

This problem is prevalent when the drivers for the PC itself are not installed properly especially NSS or DSS on Dells.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(7,967 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author KeithSmith

Finally resolved the problem.

During my research into the problem, I installed 3.0.2, which did not correct the problem. I installed 3.0.2 as this is the version that is to be used according to the table at the URL, http://www.ni.com/white-paper/5326/en. This is a very handy table.

What I have found is that I have three different form factors of PCI-GPIB boards. Board 1 is not acknowledged as a plug and play board. Board 2 appears as a plug and play, but does not have a matching Windows XP driver. Board 3 properly installs in Windows XP 32.

Board 3 is a full height PCI card with a device ID of C801.

Board 2 is a half height PCI card with a device ID of 5A01.

Board 1 is a full height PCI card but does not plug and play and thus I don't know its device ID.

All three boards are labeled PCI-GPIB. Two boards are labeled N114.

There really needs to be more information on the different variants of PCI-GPIB boards.

Simply a matter of having the correct hardware.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(7,912 Views)

Hi,

I am having the same problem.

The NI website suggests NI-488.2 1.2, but then in the description says not for PCI-GPIB.

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(5,803 Views)