From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

gateway of my VISA device keeps changing

Hi All,

Recently I was able to connect a current measuring device (Keithley 2611A) using a network cable with my LabVIEW script and it works fine with no problems. However, occasionally the gateway address on the computer keeps changing and I am sure that no other users miss with it. How can I overcome this problem ? it actually driving me nuts!!

PS.: The computer used in our lab is connected to an internal network that is also connected with other PCs.

Thanks in advance

Hasan

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,945 Views)

Sounds more like a "Windows" issue but do you have more than one network interface in the computer or is the instrument on the same network as all of the computers in your lab?

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,911 Views)

The computer network driver has several network connections one of them is connected to the lab internal network and another one is connected to the measuring device. the internal network is controlled by our IT group and some times they make updates to this network. I'm not sure if these updates make any changes to the gateway addresses. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,903 Views)

It is possible that your IT is making these changes, often they can "push" these settings from the DHCP server. 

You might have to have a long talk with them to make them understand you have more than one network interface and they are resetting it too.

Other than that are you sure the network interface you are  using is set to use manual settings and using a private subnet? 

Quite frankly I do not think the gateway setting even matters if you are using one of the common private subnets like.

• 10.0.0.0 … 10.255.255.255 (10/8) - (Class A network that start with 10.)
  • 172.16.0.0 … 172.31.255.255 (172.16/12) - (Class B networks that start with 172.16.)
  • 192.168.0.0 … 192.168.255.255 (192.168/16) - (Class C networks that start with 192.168.)

I believe the gateway is only used as 'the way out" for addresses that are not in one of the "private" ranges.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,892 Views)