Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

framing error in rs232 using visa but not through terminal program...

Hi All,

I have an application (LV 8.6) which communicates with and controls a device over RS232. The application has so far worked fine. Today I tried it on a newer computer but I keep getting "framing errors" (-1073807253) now when I run the application.

The strange thing is that I can communicate fine with the device via a terminal program (using putty since hyperterminal is no longer present on windows 7). Could it still be a hardware related issue? Why would putty be ok but visa struggle?

Any thoughts or suggestions most welcome!

Paul

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,166 Views)

Hi Paul,

There are a couple of reasons Error -1073807253 can occur when making use of NI-VISA for serial communication.

KnowledgeBase Article - Error Code 1073807253 When Using VISA Read specifies that this issue could be occurring due to a misconfiguration of the port buffer causing trouble when performing a Read operation. This specifies that by forcing a small wait directly after setting up the buffer and then using the VISA Flush I/O VI to remove any malformed configurations that could exist in the buffer, a reliable channel of communication can be defined for your serial instrument.

I would also suggest ensuring that you have the latest version of NI-VISA installed.

Please let me know if the helps!

Kind Regards,

Alex Thomas, University of Manchester School of EEE LabVIEW Ambassador (CLAD)

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,151 Views)

Most of the time framing errors are caused by wrong communication parameters. Double check the baudrate, number of data bits and parity.

Kees

Message 3 of 3
(3,132 Views)