From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

err 1073807343 when trying to open visa, MAX allows communications

I get an error message 1073807343 when trying to use the  "Open Visa" VI.  Using the "Find Visa" creates a list of my connected instruments and MAX allows communications to each instrument.  I have just installed a PCI GPIB card. I was using an Agilent USB/GPIB 82357A. 
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,403 Views)
Hello,

The error indicates " Insufficient location information or the device or resource is not present in the system."  This could be as simple as specifying the resource name correctly.  The VISA resource name for GPIB instrument resources is usually in the following form: (for instruments using only a primary address, which many simply do)

GPIBn::m::INSTR, where n is the board index and m is the instrument's primary address.

For example, if I have a single GPIB interface (card) installed (and it shows up in MAX as GPIB0), and have connected it to an instrument with primary address 3, then the resource name to use with the open function would be:

GPIB0::3::INSTR

If you are having problems with the VISA Resource Name control or constant, just wire a string control or constant (with the resource name in it of course) to the corresponding input.

Let me know if you have any further questions or if this problem persists!

Thank you,

Best Regards,

JLS
Best,
JLS
Sixclear
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,402 Views)
Resource is identified correctly. I used the GPIB VI  and communicated ok.  Using the VISA Find VI showed connected instruments.  Placing an VISA Open and wiring a control to the VISA Resource pin allows the instruments to show up in the control, but an error occurs when opening.  I spoke with NI Support via phone and problem is yet to be resolved.  Should I try uninstalling VISA software and reinstall?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,393 Views)
Are you trying to use the USB or the PCI GPIB card and who is the vendor of the PCI GPIB card?
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,392 Views)
I am trying to use the PCI GPIB. It is a new one from National Instruments.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,389 Views)

I'm sure that support has already mentioned this, but I would start off by installing the latest NI-488.2 and NI-VISA drivers from the web.  Then try using VISA Interactive Control (you can find it on the start menu).  See if it shows your instrument in the list.  If you have an instrument connected it should be listed.

-Josh

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,383 Views)