From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

distributing GPIB ibconf setup to other systems

I have several hundred machines that I need to add some new GPIB device definitions to. The 'batch' mode of ibconf (ibconf -b filename.cfg) does not work - it states that option '-b' is not valid. The only options it lists as valid are '-ng', '-nr', and '-nh'. Is there an easy way to do this via a script file once I have ran ibconf on one system??

System info:
- Linux RedHat 9
- GPIB driver package 'nigpib-linux-0.8.5'
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,701 Views)
I don't have a machine with 0.8.6 loaded up right now, but I believe that ibconf just modifies a gpibrc or gpib.rc file, so you might experiment with copying that to another system (backup the old file first) and see if the device config transfers. As I recall, ibconf tells you the file it is modifying on its initial text splash screen near the bottom left.

Scott B.
GPIB Software
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,696 Views)
Thanks Scott. I got it to work. It takes two steps. First, the file that ibconf is modifying is /lib/modules/2.4.20-8/kernel/drivers/char/nigpib.o. I had tried copying that file before with no success, but it also needs the /dev/devX files renamed to match the new ibconf names.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,689 Views)