From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cRIO VISA port forwarding to Windows

Hello everybody,

I am using a cRIO 9063 within the default software (no special customization). The NI VISA server is running on the cRIO.

When running Labview or NI MAX at the host computer, I have serial VISA access to the cRio-Built in RS232 at visa://xx.xx.xx.xx/ASRL1::INSTR 

RS232 Loop Back Test with NI MAX or Labview workes fine.

Now I need this VISA source (visa://xx.xx.xx.xx/ASRL1::INSTR) as comport at my Windows Device Manager, because I have a Windows 3rd party software that is only supporting the Windows RS232 Comport.

This there any solution, that a forwarded cRIO VISA source can be made availibe at the Windows Device Manager and so accessable for any other software?

Best Regards

Christian

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,227 Views)

Hello Christian,

To my knowledge, this is still not possible. If you want to be able to use that third party app , I was thinking about a workaround for you: since the cRIO 9063 has 2 USB ports, consider installing an USB to Serial interface. There are plenty of low-cost devices of this type on the market, however the process of installing such a periferal is not easiest - basically you need some Linux knowledge - and cannot be guaranteed. Still, it might be worth a shot. Consider this forum discussion as a reference:

https://forums.ni.com/t5/Real-Time-Measurement-and/cRIO-9067-to-recongnize-SiLabs-USB-RS232/td-p/308... - cRIO 9067 to recongnize SiLabs USB RS232

The other option would be to acquire a Cseries

https://www.ni.com/en-us/shop/category/industrial-communication-buses.html?productId=118133 - it might be an easier way to extend your system with as many serial ports as needed.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely yours,

Denis

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,181 Views)