Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cRIO-9014 serial baud rate

Hello,

I have a cRIO-9014 system and am trying to communicate with a device through the built in serial port. The device I am using requires a different baud rate than the default 9600 I find in settings under MAX. Is there a way anyone knows of to change the cRIO serial port's baud rate (under MAX the settings are grayed out).

Thanks,

Dan

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,112 Views)
The Serial Baud rate can be configured using the 'Visa Configure Serial Port' on the functions palette.  The maximum baud rate for this controller is 115200 bits per second.
Rob K
Measurements Mechanical Engineer (C-Series, USB X-Series)
National Instruments
CompactRIO Developers Guide
CompactRIO Out of the Box Video
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,089 Views)
That seems to work. Thank you.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,075 Views)

I was looking for this information, but my cRIO-9014 seem to be perfectly happy with opening and using a baud rate of 230400, out it errors out if I try any of the (standard) settings over that.. (This contradicts the answer given above that cRIO9014 maxes out at 115200 baud.)

Is this dependent on the hardware revision of the cRIO-9014?  My R&D unit is a newer 9014 but I'm developing a module that would be doing file transfers over the RS232 for some 9014's that are a few years old and I'm curious if we can expect the 230400 rate to work on those like it does on my R&D 9014?

I did not see any mention of supported baud rates in the 9014 OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS AND SPECIFICATIONS from 2013 and I'm curious if there is another public document that contains such information?

--And since I already did a thread-resurrection, does anyone know if there is an NI or 3rd party USB to serial (RS485 ideally) dongle that can be accessed via NI VISA on a cRIO-9014??

QFang
-------------
CLD LabVIEW 7.1 to 2016
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,280 Views)

You can use that port at 230,400. This is documented in the NI-Serial Readme file in the list of supported controllers. It looks like this is a disconnect between the hardware manual and the supporting drivers.

For future reference, your question will be noticed by more people if you create a new topic rather than replying to a very old one. I only noticed this because I had subscribed to the original post way back in 2008.

-Jason

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,266 Views)

Just to clarify, the 230,400 baud rate applies only to the built-in serial port on the cRIO-9014. Different limits apply when using NI 987x C Series modules.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,263 Views)

...and if I started a new post, is it not typical to 'tease' someone for not searching the forum first?  -and similarily, if someone did search and found this old post (like I did), they would be ill-informed, possibly never knowing that a different post had been created that corrected the old one?

I hear what you are saying, but I made a deliberate decission when I replied to this particular old thread. 🙂  -In general I agree with you 100% though!

QFang
-------------
CLD LabVIEW 7.1 to 2016
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,253 Views)