Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

boxcar SR245 communication via GPIB

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to communicate with the SR245 boxcar via GPIB connection. I can see and communicate with the device in the NI MAX environment. However, when I try to run a very simple query VI, there is no response from the device and error 1073807331 (timeout err) or 1073807339 (read) appear . Why I can write and read in the NI MAX environment but not with LabView?

One thought is, in the device manual it was indicated that the read command will wait for a trigger, so how can I implement the trigger command in the LabVIEW?

I appreciate any help.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(1,136 Views)

This product does not respond to the normal SCPI commands and as such, you will get errors.  Read this manual, in particular Figure 24 on listed page 45 which is page 54 of the pdf file.  You will need the CR & LF characters at the end (for GPIB shown 3 pages previous).

Help the Community (and future reviewers) by marking posts as follows:
If it helped - KUDOS
If it answers the issue - SOLUTION
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(1,132 Views)

Yes I know. The command for query of port 1 should be "?1\r". As I mentioned, I can communicate with it in NI MAX without any problem.

I tried to add trigger command such as PB1 to induce a trigger (Command will be "?1;PB1\r") with no luck. 

Is there any working VI for this instrument out there?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(1,126 Views)

That would be the correct command for RS-232 communications.  For GPIB, it mentions that you need to add the \n after the \r in your command/query.  See the Default Termination Characters for GPIB on listed page 42 of the manual.

Help the Community (and future reviewers) by marking posts as follows:
If it helped - KUDOS
If it answers the issue - SOLUTION
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(1,114 Views)

Hi

Just to be sure, use a string (front panel or block diagram both) in the '/' code display mode.

In the normal mode just enter a new line, no slashes.

greetings from the Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(1,107 Views)

I still have the time out problem, even with \n as you suggested. 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(1,045 Views)