From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

agilent 34972a usb connection

I have an agilent 34972a instrument.

It works fine with the LAN connection. I can find the instrument in MAX and I can collect the data through Labview.

But when I switch to usb connection. When I plug in the instrument, I even couldn't find the instrument in MAX. However, I can see it in Agilent IO expert.

I already checked the tulip in MAX. NI-VISA is installed as primary and agilent-VISA is secondary. I am not sure what's wrong.

Does anynoe can help me? Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,192 Views)

Hi YC Chan,

In order for the device to be recognized by MAX the device must be recognized as a USB Test and Measurement Device.  Does it appear under this category in Device Manager?  Also what version of NI-VISA are you using?

Justin D
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
http://www.ni.com/support/
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(4,174 Views)

I am having a similar problem... I installed command expert and Agilent IO libraries, and now Measurement and Automation does not see anything... I get the following:  "There was a problem connecting to the database. Please restart your computer and contact National Instruments if the problem persists."  I also deleted the "Data" folder in the MAX section so it can rebuild a new database, but somehow the drivers are getting messed up.  I am using WinXP service pack 3.

Prior to installing Agilent stuff, MAX was working fine v.4.10.3001.

I will look around for another version of MAX and see if re-installing fixes the problem

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,132 Views)

When you installed the Agilent IO Control, it should have found the NI-VISA and left it alone and installed the Agilent VISA as secondary. I suspect something went wrong with that.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,127 Views)

Yes, I actually made Agilent's the secondary driver not the primary.  Still it didn't work.  I went to NI download section, and downloaded NI-VISA, and I re-installed it with MAX 5.0.  That did the trick.  Upon installing the new measurement automation, and rebooting my computer, both MAX and IO CONTROL libraries see the instrument.

I also went into MAX and enabled TULIP dll check box as it was recommended in other threads.  I think the conflict went away.  I am not sure why this happened, but if you guys experience this, re-install visa which contains the latest MAX in it. Reboot your machine, and hopefully the issue goes away as it did for me.

Good luck!

Robert

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,123 Views)