Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

agilent 34870A temperature units

Hi, 

I am controlling an Agilent 34970A with lab view, and collecting temps via the HP34970A EZ Temperature.vi. My trouble is with the units....the default is in °C, but I'd like it to return in °F. I cannot seem to find a way to do this in either the HP34970A Initialize.vi nor the HP34970AEZ Temperature.vi. Is there a way to set the unit to do this, or am I stuck with manipulating the data thru conversion code to do it after collection?

 

TIA!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(1,486 Views)

You don't know how to write your own VI to send a command to change the default units?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(1,485 Views)

nm...I found it! I somehow overlook the config temp.vi. 

 

As far as writing a Vi from scratch to communicate with the unit to do it, no, I do not. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(1,482 Views)

@arminyack wrote:

nm...I found it! I somehow overlook the config temp.vi. 

 

As far as writing a Vi from scratch to communicate with the unit to do it, no, I do not. 


Perhaps you should start looking at the block diagrams of these VIs you are using.

 

 

 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(1,476 Views)

uhm, I am look at the block diagrams.

 

 

and thanks for the help?  I am seriously wondering why you are even bothering to reply. Yes, i am a compete beginner kinda thrown into deep water here. 

 

I am assuming you are an experienced user.....and once you were a beginner too.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(1,474 Views)

there are a lot of good KB articles about developing instrument drivers and how they work.  HERE is a good place to start

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(1,470 Views)

@arminyack wrote:

uhm, I am look at the block diagrams.

 

 

and thanks for the help?  I am seriously wondering why you are even bothering to reply. Yes, i am a compete beginner kinda thrown into deep water here. 

 

I am assuming you are an experienced user.....and once you were a beginner too.


You claim you don't know how to write a VI to communicate to an instrument.

 

Looking at VIs developed by others is how you learn.

 

LEARN how to do something. Or do you plan on being dependent on others throughout your entire LabVIEW programming career?

 

 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(1,459 Views)

I am looking at other Vi's in fact....what made you think I was not? I don't believe I said anything to that effect. 

 

So a beginner is to just look at existing VI's, use the context help, and examples and muddle through without asking questions? Thats basically what you're telling me

 

Yes, am a begginer....so this bars me from asking questions on a NI discussion board (were the majority of people go for HELP) becuase you think I am being toally dependant on others? 

God forbide I LEARN something from asking questions (so you didnt asking any questions in school ot training yourself huh?)

 

thanks for the help?

 

 

Thanks Jeff for you post....I'm reading through your link

Message 8 of 11
(1,449 Views)

Without extra calculations

Celsius to Fahrenheit.png

 

The first cast changes a normal value in a value of type degree Celsius, this is changed into Fahrenheit and then displayed.

greetings from the Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(1,441 Views)

@Albert.Geven wrote:

Without extra calculations

Celsius to Fahrenheit.png

 

The first cast changes a normal value in a value of type degree Celsius, this is changed into Fahrenheit and then displayed.


Dangerous Units to introduce a new user to! so for those of you think about this approach I want to remind you of temperature units.

 

Temperature is stored in memory in Kelvins and converted to ºC or ºF only for display so you need to be careful when doing MATH with temperature units!  0ºC + 1ºC is 547.3 Cº   Smiley Surprised!

 

Thats where knowing the difference between ºC and Cº comes in handy.

This snippet demonstates the trouble you can get into.  Imagine stepping an oven controller by 10ºC!

BH.png


 

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(1,439 Views)