From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

agilent 3000 series oscilloscope - no communication

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi all,

There is an official troubleshooting doc on-line: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/EFBD8C6A3ADC81EA862576AC00720DC8?OpenDocument

The actual state of it is approx. 11th step and above.

Dennis's idea could be working. As I followed the log you sent:

The driver sends a reset (*RST), and then 3 commands immediately(";*ESE 61;*SRE 48;*CLS;") in the "Default Instrument Setup.vi", and finally an error check command (:SYST:ERR?).

Maybe the instrument need more time after reset, and process all the commands, and cannot process the errorcheck request.

If the additional wait doesn't help, please check also the firmware version of the instrument, and make sure it's the latest release.

Just another idea: I'm not deeply in the GPIB commands at low level, but the ";*ESE 61;*SRE 48;*CLS;" command starts with ";" and my experience is that the GPIB commands begins mostly with "*" or ":" So I would delete this character, and make a try.

BR,

Tamas

Message 11 of 17
(2,444 Views)

Hi!

I agree with Tamas. Since the LabVIEW PnP driver was tested with Ethernet interface, I suggest you could

1) try with switching to Ethernet and see if the error persists

2) try removing the ';' if you still wants to use the USB interface.

Please let us know if the error is still being generated.

Best Regards,

Charles

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 17
(2,435 Views)

thank you guys, now I'm back to work so I will try now.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 17
(2,432 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author mikel_j

Problem seems to be solved

Agilent has launched a new version of the scope's firmware - now all phenomenas which used to appear has disappeared

by the way - thank you for you help 

Message 14 of 17
(2,427 Views)

and one thing more

it's needed to install some additional  Agilent drivers called "Agilent IO Libraries Suite" in theory it does nothing but without this app will not work

thank you again

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 17
(2,422 Views)

Hi All,

I have an identical issue with an Agilent MSO-X 2024A scope being controlled by via USB & MAX [Firmware 02.12.2012041800, same as the developer used]

I have not installed the Agilent IO Libraries Suite yet

I had communication with the scope, but the example program, Agilent 2000 3000 X-Series Acquire Waveform.vi, supplied with the Agilent 2000 3000 S-Series.lvproj project would hang.

Debugging in MAX

The trouble was with the *SRE 48 command... The command did not generate an error, but sending a subsequent *SRE? or :SYSTem:ERRor? query caused a timeout error

I found, by accident/frustration, that clicking the Read Status Byte button after sending the *SRE 48 command allowed the *SRE? & :SYSTem:ERRor? queries to complete w/o a hitch

I plan on adding the ReadSTB.vi to the Default Instrument Setup.vi to see whether it works in LabView

I have attached two NI I/O traces which show the error & the lack of error

Russ

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 17
(2,303 Views)

I ran into the same problem. After going through the above recommended steps I found that removing the 'SRE 48' from the string soved the problem. I'm not sure how this impacts the error reporting.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 17
(1,551 Views)